1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2024 college football offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Jan 10, 2024.

1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

My mother was there! Took a train from East Lansing to Pasadena. Still talks about the winning field goal. (I don't remember if she noticed the sunset over the mountains, though.)

HappyCurmudgeon likes this.
  2. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

That's terrific! Wow. What a train ride in the winter.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Interesting the highlight video of a Rose Bowl would show Soldier Field as the intro shot. At least I think that's old Soldier Field.

Oregon State took a train back to Durham for the 1942 transplanted Rose Bowl, took them almost a week.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

5. dixiehack

Makes you want run out of the tunnel and go to war, no?

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The G5 and the mid-majors and low majors who either don't have football or play FCS are getting totally screwed in this settlement.

Who the hell needs 105 football scholarships, 15 basketball scholarships or 34 baseball scholarships. It's all about the P4, who can afford it, stockpiling talent.

8. dixiehack

For football, this is the compromise because they’re going to have to abolish walk-ons. I forget the legal reasoning but I’ve seen several sources indicate it has to happen to make all this work.

9. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Scholarships don't matter anymore for the big boys -- NIL covers the cost if you wanted to get around the previous smaller totals.

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Last I heard the SEC schools were getting $15m to split among their athletes as their slice of the pie. Figure roughly 75% goes to football, 15-20% to MBB, and the other sports get the rest. NIL and other deals take care of the big dollar guy's larger salary demands.

11. dixiehack

Now I remember. The no walk ons thing is so schools don’t play mischief with paying the full cost of school for walk-ons out of the NIL kitty. So not necessarily a salary cap on money spent, but on how many people you can spend it on.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

First court challenge and it all goes down. There's no party representing the athletes, ergo this falls apart on the same grounds the NCAA has lost control already. It's a joke. It's the SCHOOLS that need a jocks union so they can have a CBA.

Draft saved Draft deleted