1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Five-ring circus: The Thread of the XXXIII Olympiad

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Apr 12, 2024.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

We should dominate team handball. But we don’t.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Out of all the disturbing things they never should have been allowed to pass off as children’s television, the one that disturbed me most was an old Popeye cartoon where Bluto is driving a produce wagon and then absolutely whips the living hell out of his decrepit horse once it breaks down under the load. Even now I hear the sound that horse made and I shudder. Even me in the 80s thought TBS was fucked up for showing that.

Dog8Cats likes this.
  3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

MeTV shows old Bugs/WB cartoons on Saturday mornings. It is insane how many times someone would shoot a shotgun directly in the face of the antagonist. Like all the time.

4. nickp

nickp Active Member

So far the Olympics have been wild

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

My grandfather was a professional magician and was friends with like-minded types such as Eli Levitan, a Popeye animator who later operated his own studio and wrote a seminal book on the topic. As a teenager I was introduced to him over dinner one night and he drew Popeye on the placemat for me as a souvenir. It is a treasured keepsake.

Poppy was also was friends with Shari Lewis' dad, Abe Hurwitz, and Roy Bittan's father, who told me not to bother him about Springsteen tickets.

maumann likes this.
  6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I'll take "Stories Absolutely Nobody Gives a Shit About for $200, Alex."

Dog8Cats likes this.
  7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

How has this not been posted yet.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Because no one plays it or even watches it here.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Those cartoons are 90% violence. And they're funny.

swingline, SixToe and MileHigh like this.
  10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I watch it. Every four years. But I watch.

11. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

All I remember was in 1996, when we got a handball team because we were the hosts, the US Handball Team was sponsored by The Weather Channel. The men actually won one pool play game (vs. Kuwait) and the ninth-place game (of 12, vs. Algeria). The women went 0-4.

12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

MeTV Toons is a new OTA subchannel in my area and I happened on that same scene while channel-flipping. There was a water bucket and Bluto drank the whole thing, leaving the horse thirsty. That channel shows ALL the politically incorrect toons and I won't go back.

Draft saved Draft deleted