1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I lose my mind at work because we have 2-3 constantly “oh I can’t get there or do whatever because of my kiddos”
    Well, too bad. You took the job. There are not two sets of job requirements for those with and without kids. You chose to have kids. Figure it out. It’s not my job to pick up your slack.

2. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

especially egregious in the newspaper business. I say that as a dad.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2024
  3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

If there’s an industry less supportive of raising a family than working in media — between the irregular hours, frequent job changes/moves and, especially, the lack of financial stability — I can’t think of it.

Kato, garrow, MileHigh and 6 others like this.
  4. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I would have taken kids if they came along, but when my wife and I got married I was still in sports, and we made the decision going in that it would be best if we just didn’t have any. Between my schedule and hers, we were never home. I wasn’t going to be one of those people who just dumped kids on my parents because I couldn’t tend to them because of my job.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

“I truly can't believe this is coming from a potential VP of The United States. All I can say is...Mr. Vance, I pray that your daughter is fortunate enough to bear children of her own one day. I hope she will not need to turn to IVF as a second option. Because you are trying to take that away from her, too.”

-- Jennifer Aniston

OscarMadison and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Well, see, when a man does that it's because he's virile and a true Alpha. When a woman does it, she's a whore.

OscarMadison, Dyno and Driftwood like this.
  7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

8. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Coco, perhaps a bad boss sitting atop of all that too, who the fuk needs it.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I think that's the chyron Fox News is planning to use when the VP pick is made.

10. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I equally don’t want to hear on social media about how you are a better person because you do or don’t have children. Both sides are just loudly broadcasting their insecurities. There are things that are annoying and virtuous about both groups.

I do want to discuss government policies on families and children that will make society better for everyone. That’s useful.

Making whether you have a child into yet another culture war? No thanks.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

But we've been told not to trust polling data. Repeatedly.

Also, if "over two-thirds of Americans are stressed by everyday expenses" then I guess I shouldn't believe my own "lying eyes" when I see little evidence of two-thirds of Americans cutting back their spending on non-essentials.

2muchcoffeeman and Gutter like this.
  12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Director of Health and Human Services: Shawn Kemp or Travis Henry?

Scout and HanSenSE like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted