1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2024 running motorsports thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jan 3, 2024.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Maybe if it was explained to them slowly in one-syllable words.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

They need to remember that motorsports is not a team event, no matter how much the engineers want to turn it into that.

Driftwood likes this.
  3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The whole point was he got to pit sooner than he otherwise would because they wanted to help him fend off the guy in third. If they had known he wanted to go out on his own, then he could have been told to do his own damn work on the track and lots of luck.

4. PCLoadLetter

Except that it is.

If you want NASCAR, watch NASCAR. Lando was only in first because they tried to help him hold onto second and screwed his teammate. He wasn't there on merit.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Yeah, but he was in first place.

6. PCLoadLetter

And he could have stayed there, if he wanted to destroy his relationship with the team that was trying to help him.

Thankfully, he was eventually smart enough to understand the mistake he was making and he did the right thing.

7. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

His pit crew trying to help him by doing their jobs getting him out of the pits in first only to say "we did too good of a job."

I miss the F1 days of Senna and Mansell.

I shoved my wife out of the way at the start of a charity 5K once because she was holding my up. She understood. It was a race.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  8. PCLoadLetter

Like when Senna pulled over to let his teammate win the Japanese Grand Prix?

9. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Or when Senna and Prost crashed each other out despite being teammates?

10. PCLoadLetter

Which still happens all the time.

Seriously, if you guys want to turn this into something it's not, knock yourself out. Lando was stealing a win by hosing his teammate. He eventually thought better of it. He has acknowledged that what he did was stupid and he's embarrassed by it. If he let Piastri past like he was supposed to, they could have raced the rest of the way. Instead he threw a fit and made everyone look bad.

11. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

Two things:

1. I like F1 because it feels like a different way of playing sports. The idea that a podium means so much and how the mid- pack finishes and jostles is just different than American sport. I enjoy that it's different.

2. Absolutely, the lost idea is that if Lando lets Piastri by, then he could race him all he wanted after, and would've had 20 laps to do so. And he could made up seven more championship points by doing that. If I were the team, I might be pissed that he was so short-sighted that he couldn't see that.

Edit: I imagine there would've been team orders in Lando's favor to Piastri if Lando had been that much faster in that scenario.

PCLoadLetter likes this.
  12. Typist Clerk

Typist Clerk Well-Known Member

The more I watch F1, and I’ve watched since 1962, the more I find it a very expensive sham.

franticscribe, Huggy, maumann and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted