1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2024 college football offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Jan 10, 2024.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Yeah, 60% of the settlement paid for by G5, FCS and non-football schools. The guys who might spend 1/5 of what the P4 pays for NIL.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I presume baseball is going to move from being an equivalency sport to a headcount sport. Is that right?
    If so, there won't be many schools that can go from the dollar value of 11.7 scholarships to nearly triple that amount in two fiscal years.
    That's a problem.

3. micropolitan guy

SEC can. Big Ten can if it wants to. Some ACC programs can.

4. tapintoamerica

The Big Ten is the really interesting one. In the SEC and ACC, baseball's part of the culture now. Benign weather. How many real (Midwestern) Big Ten schools will invest in a sport they've casually cared about?

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

6. micropolitan guy

You'd have to pay me more than that to give up a Stanford degree, a 6-figure NIL deal and beautiful South Bay weather to move to fucking Lubbock.

Good luck to her. Can't even come close to seeing the ROI for the benefactors, but so be it.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I would say a top softball pitcher might have more impact than any other player in any other sport. QBs need a good o-line and receivers. Hoops players need to have talent around them so teams just don't focus on them. But yeah - A Stanford degree is a $1m lottery ticket - throw in the people you meet there - and I say this a a die-hard Cal fan who hates Stanford. Then again, who was the last college softball player who made $1m playing softball after college?

Liut likes this.
  8. tapintoamerica

If she’s really smart, she’ll see if she can take and pass enough courses to stay eligible but not graduate from Texas Tech; transfer back to Stanford; and get the degree from there. I’m not sure this is plausible, but it’s worth a look.

Liut and Neutral Corner like this.
  9. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

They last made the NCAA Tournament in 2019, the only time since 2012 and six times total. They have never been to a Super Regional. The only time they finished higher than fourth in the Big 12 was a tie for third in 2001. They are on the their fourth head coach in six seasons.

She's probably worth it

10. micropolitan guy

Just not seeing how it translates into anything close to $1 million in revenue, just to break even on the deal. Especially since the NIL donation can't be used as a tax write-off.

11. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

They don't care about that -- rich oil men with wives and daughters who like softball want to see a kickass team that now doesn't have to deal with Oklahoma and Texas in the league anymore.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Rocky Johnson Field capacity: 589.

I need me some of Lubbock’s economic anxiety.

Draft saved Draft deleted