1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Five-ring circus: The Thread of the XXXIII Olympiad

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Apr 12, 2024.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

So ... how long until we see an Olympic octobox with eight different Americans going for gold simultaneously?

And will Hanson get a bathroom break or two during eight consecutive hours of work with this gig?

2. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Briefly today they had what they called the "Brady Box": 3x3.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Rowdy is fine ... once every four years. If we can get Hicks into that time frame ...

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

There are some gnarly waves at Hamburg beach to practice on.

5. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I've posted it during Olympics past, but my wife is a weird Olympic but. She tolerates sports because of me but would almost never watch on her own.

But I re-upped the Peacock for the first time since the playoff game because I'm nice and she's sitting here watching freaking surfing like she would ever do that otherwise. And she keeps making weird commentary and other fascinating observations and I'm already starting to count down to this being over.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  6. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Showed his Kiel a little bit there.

Going back to the Rowdy thing, I don't find him half as irritating as Tim Daggett.

7. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I'm glad I wasn't the only person who thought something along those lines. Geez, he has a long, narrow head/face, anyway, and that full-on, tapered-but-scruffy-looking mountain-man beard only accentuates it to the point of being overmuch. Sometimes, you can't help your features; you are who you are. But it's just not a very professional look for broadcasting, especially considering how much I suspect they are going to use him for the swimming events.

8. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I suspect, kind of like when Bobby Knight started working at ESPN, that he's deciding what he's going to look like on air. Considering their struggles on making the Games relevant to his generation (see Dogg, Snoop), they'd probably let Phelps do a hit in a gorilla suit if he wanted to.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Seriously, WTF is up with Snoop being on the broadcast team?

10. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I'm sure you're right. It's too bad, though. Your point makes me wonder about Phelps' own thinking in sticking with that look.

He can do better, and, like most people, he would probably clean up pretty nicely.

11. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Huggy and franticscribe like this.
  12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Just the first day and if I have to hear or read again about someone setting "a new world record" ...

Dog8Cats and maumann like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted