1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Five-ring circus: The Thread of the XXXIII Olympiad

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Apr 12, 2024.

1. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Colin Jost just came on (in his usual timeslot) and has already managed to cut up his foot on a reef. I was hoping he and Maria Taylor would do a joke swap. That said, he does seem to be having an "Al Franken Live Via Satellite" level of misfortune so far.

Inky_Wretch and DanielSimpsonDay like this.
  2. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Forget it, Jake. It’s Paristown.

3. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

My wife and I have taken to calling him Poochie.

It’s something a 65-year-old producer would think draws a younger audience: A 52-year-old rapper more known for being alongside Martha Stewart and taking money to appear at every event than his music, which is 30 years old at this point.

Inky_Wretch and maumann like this.
  4. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Gymnastics center stage:

Biles fighting through injury

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It's a confounding look. Henchman No. 3 in some bad martial arts movie.

John and MTM like this.
  6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Cold take at this point, but I liked lots of the opening ceremony production. What seemed apparent to me - others around me disagreed - is that Tirico and Manning didn't care for it, or even know what to do with it, and Kelly Clarkson had no, well, sophisticated insight. Which, for anyone who's seen an hour of her talk show, wasn't a surprise.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Just like Football in the Groin, that works on so many levels.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Calling it on day two: once it’s all said and done, Team USA will be considered a disappointment. Even the men’s basketball team might lose. Just hunch, hope I’m wrong.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I feel like the break dancers and skateboarders really might let Team USA down.

10. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I liked the opening ceremonies a lot, but I also know just enough French language, history and culture that I wasn't totally lost.

I thought Tirico was just OK and that Manning and Clarkson were awful. At least Clarkson kind of disappeared in the second half. Manning was a non-stop flow of irrelevant comparisons to American football and New Orleans and uninsightful anecdotes about visits with particular athletes. In my internal monologue, I kept hearing Walton Goggins as Baby Billy Freeman saying "Go outside nerd. I ain't got time to be distracted by your worthless chime-ins!" every time he talked.

I was particularly annoyed that no attempt was made to explain any of the symbolism of what we were seeing throughout the ceremonies. My memory of the Beijing opening ceremonies, which I think is probably the closest to Paris for the breadth of its ambition and incorporating deep cultural references, is that the broadcast crew did an excellent job of explaining the relevance of various elements.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2024
    maumann and Liut like this.
  11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Forget the Last Supper nonsense; the real reason to boycott the Olympics is NBC’s decision to list players heights in meters. Fuck that shit. Murica.

Huggy, Inky_Wretch and I Should Coco like this.
  12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Is it NBC or are they just using the Olympic feed and not bothering to "americanize it?"

Thinking about the opening ceremonies some more - they really should have just used Lipinski and Weir. They would have been great.

Draft saved Draft deleted