1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Random Thoughts the Third

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

There are two Fears brothers in college basketball this year at Michigan State and Oklahoma. Their father was a freshman at Ohio in 2004.

Two thousand and four.

I feel my bones disintegrating.

2. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

GODDAMM, BOY, IT'S JOHNNY FUCKING BENCH.
    Stand up and cheer, right now. ... Right now, dammit!

3. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

The older I get, the more commercials/ads make me laugh.
    I'm sure 25-30 years ago, I thought my life was an Abercrombie & Fitch catalog.
    I just saw a J. Crew commercial where a bunch of young pretty folks were frolicking on a beach, and I lost it.

4. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

x.com

Loved this. We go on vacations to destination places, too. But the pressure you feel to go to IT places and societal scorn for those who don’t is awful.

Vacation, relaxation is a mindset. The pressure to visit an Instagrammable place is a virus.

I remember the jokes when I once said I enjoy vacations to Lake Michigan beaches a couple times a year. I’ve been to St. Thomas, the Bahamas, the Keys, the Dominican. We vacation in Charleston and Traverse City and Savannah. But when the mindset is right, the Indiana Dunes can be one of those places, too. Driving the Midwest can be one of those places. Melting into the background of any city, meeting people unique to a place can be done anywhere.

I have to remind myself to not be slave to fashion.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2024
  5. Driftwood

A wasp stung me right in the side of the head today. That sucker hurt.

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I caught one in the temple once. Hurt like hell.

Driftwood likes this.
  7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I thought Opryland, Six Flags over Georgia, and Panama City were the only vacation locations on the planet until I was 25.

8. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Geez! I WISHED I knew what a vacation was before the age of 25. I mean, I got to go to Detroit when I was 12 (and this was the Detroit of the 1980s! LOL)

9. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I got stung on the ankle while mowing last week. It was sore all damn day.

10. Driftwood

A while back, my truck got caught in an insane hail storm. $7800 in damage/repairs. It's at the body shop now. It's been there for a week. They said expect two weeks minimum, maybe three.
    I've been driving my mom's car.
    Holy freakin mother of whatever you hold dear... I want my truck back.
    I am and always have been a truck guy. Every truck I've ever owned has been an extension of me. My truck fits me like a glove. Inside my truck by myself is my happy place. It's my cocoon, my fortress of solitude. It's my own cosmos, my ecosystem.
    What I am driving is fine. It gets me where I'm going. It's not my truck.
    I'm totally discombobulated.

Songbird and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  11. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

I love Honest Trailers, but I haven't laughed this hard watching one maybe ever. I've never seen Gymkata btw.

12. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Little known fact: When you drop your kid off to kindergarten and you’re the oldest parent in the classroom by 13 years, the brain naturally starts playing “Dust in the Wind” in your head.

Draft saved Draft deleted