1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2024 running motorsports thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jan 3, 2024.

1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

My point is it's a harsh penalty for a minor infraction.
    And if you think every race winner for the last 30 years was 100% pure, I bet you think every Tour de France winner except Armstrong was squeaky clean.
    They didn't didn't even catch Russell's car being under weight on first inspection. They went back and weighed it a second time after clearing it the first go-around.
    My point is somebody had a boner for Mercedes, and they took it out on Russell. Guarantee if it had been Hamilton's car, he wouldn't have been DQd neither would have Verstappen or Norris or a Ferrari driver. They took it out on a nobody.

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

It's not a minor infraction. The car was underweight. That's illegal, and it's always an automatic disqualification. It has happened plenty of times before -- just not with the winner.

They didn't catch it on the first inspection because Mercedes is supposed to drain the fluids from the car for the weigh-in but they didn't do it all the way... as if they knew the car was going to be underweight.

They inspect every car after every race. His was underweight. Mercedes is not even remotely disputing the DQ.

They wouldn't DQ Lewis? They did it last year at the USGP because his skid pad was too worn down. LeClerc too, driving for Ferrari.

3. Driftwood

Easy to DQ a big name down the finishing order to show how tough you are. Zero chance they strip one of a win over being a 1K under weight.
    Yeah, they've stripped big names for on-track incidents like Schumacher trying to take out Villeneuve, so I'll give them that.
    There's a big difference between a driver doing something like that in his control and the car being insignificantly underweight. I'd have a different view if it was 40 pounds off.

4. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Smokey Yunick is laughing his ass off somewhere at the Best Damn Garage in Heaven.

5. PCLoadLetter

Man, I don't know what to tell you. I've followed F1 avidly for nearly 50 years. I can tell you this is a slam-dunk, no-brainer DQ. Every goddamn time. Go back and look at Toto after the race. He looked like his dog just died as his team crossed the line in a 1-2. They knew they had screwed up. Absolutely no one involved in the sport is questioning the DQ whatsoever.

Lewis lost second place in the USGP last year for a skid plate issue. Shit happens.

Being underweight is not a minor infraction, which is why the teams go to great pains to not be underweight. It's a massive own-goal by Mercedes, and they admit it.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

This is approaching Songbird territory. Why do you suddenly have a hair up your ass about F1 this week?

7. Driftwood

So it's perfectly OK in a legitimate series for a race leader to pull over and give someone a win, but you are going to strip a kid of win for a penalty that is the equivalent of wet fart.
    The appropriate penalty would have been to strip Mercedes of constructors points for the weekend and put them on probation.

8. Driftwood

Who me? I don't know. I have never nor will ever own a Mercedes, and Georgie Russell ain't kin to me.

9. Driftwood

Bobby Allison's Daytona rear bumper weeps.

maumann likes this.
  10. PCLoadLetter

All I can say is this: if you have any interest in F1, maybe start following the series and actually reading posts from people who know what they are talking about. You don't read, you don't acknowledge what anyone says, and you just keep making angry points that are based on absolutely nothing. @dixiehack is right - you have spent this week shitting on a series you don't follow and don't understand, and are adamantly unwilling to listen to people who actually know what they are talking about.

They proper move was to DQ Russell because he won in a car that had an illegal advantage. He knows it, his team knows it. There is no such thing as probation.

If you're pissed off that F1 isn't NASCAR, just watch NASCAR.

11. Driftwood

Actually, I've followed the series very closely since 1994, so fuck you very much.
    I guess I just subscribe to the theory that a race should be decided on the track, and when fans leave the track, they deserve to know who won the race.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

They don't know what they're talking about.

Draft saved Draft deleted