1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Five-ring circus: The Thread of the XXXIII Olympiad

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Apr 12, 2024.

1. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Maybe get Lindsey Graham to tell everyone you were only joking.

TigerVols likes this.
  2. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

The USWNT looks good, unlike last year (maybe a soccer thread post?). How good is Jokic that he was plus-minus 0 in 31 minutes and they lost by 26?

I am not a huge Olympics fan overall, but there is some stuff I am going to want to watch. And to add to my earlier thread about my wife and Peacock and whatever, I am going to have to do it without her in the same room. The changing sports around on there and then being forced to watch 30-second commercials and missing what I was watching because I wasn't warned is going to drive me nuts. Plus, we still get regular TV and all she was watching was live anyway!

But what an improvement over just a few games ago when NBC still thought they needed to save everything for primetime even though you could find out the results instantly?

franticscribe and HanSenSE like this.
  3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I watched some doubles ping-pong this morning. That was absolutely crazy.

franticscribe likes this.
  4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I love that stuff. Such coordination.

The Serbia-USA BBall game started as a typical international game, the Serbs are crisp, passing, cutting, and the USA is lazy with the ball making TOs and getting caught backdoor. Then the USA starts hitting some 3s, getting transition hoops and then settle down and cut down on the backdoor easy hoops and take control. Of curse KD going 8 for 8 in the 1st half certainly helps. With bigs like AD and Bam, Embiid seems like the odd man out.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Oh as much as I dislike LeBron's whining in NBA games, he's simply an amazing player at 39/40. Yeah, at this age he's better than MJ was. MJ's peak was higher but on overall, LeBron may be GOAT IMHO.

6. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

You know what? That is a great idea. They would've gotten it, and had perceptive things to say.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

YouTube TV has some “Paris Extra” channels available. They have the international feed sans any announcers - just crowd noise and the PA. It’s awesome.

8. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I was looking at a list of broadcasters. Do you think North Korea just splices the video down to make it look like North Korea wins every event it enters?

HanSenSE likes this.
  9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Embiid’s game doesn’t work in the international game at all. I think Kerr figured that out quickly in the warm up games. Embiid is starting but not getting a lot of minutes.

On the flip side, LeBron is the perfect international player. It’s crazy to see how dominant he is at this age.

sgreenwell likes this.
  10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

The ideal USA team needs to be able to switch everywhere because the international game seems to be 80% high screens. Embiid can’t do that and neither can Steph.

11. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

That waa odd, especially because Kerr is so good at being mindful of egos.

Hailliburton seems just happy to be there and was all-in on being the best bench mob guy he could be. Nothing but good vibes. Tatum, on the other hand, seemed to be stewing.

Tatum's tendency to hold the ball doesn't work well on the international stage but he isn't unplayable. That said, his body language sucked and I would expect more from him at this point.

I'm sure he'll play a ton in the next one and this will all be forgotten.

12. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

i know it wasnt the same team but the last Olympics he averaged 15 points and 20 mins. It’s not like he’s a first timer just happy to be there like Halliburton or White would

Draft saved Draft deleted