1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

More Trumpist than Texas.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  2. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Sweaty outer-borough whiner in a dark suit, red tie, dyed hair, complaining about lack of respect....Donald Trump is Rodney Dangerfield!

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Usually everything is so scripted in politics now that covering it feels like assembly line work. Having actual unexpected news drop in the laps of the press during the summer doldrums of an election is like handing a starving man a T-bone right off the grill.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  4. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Part of the reason I am leaving. North Carolina isn't a whole lot better right now, but at least I can get on my island tune it out.*

* To the point my wife will STFU giving me hourly updates

5. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

And this should be repeated, over and over and over, by anybody on the Democratic campaign trail...Make Trump answer for it.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

7. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

It's actually the GOP that feels back on their heels right now. I live in a Georgia county where four of every five voters will choose Trump in November, but the confidence they had even a month ago seems a lot less certain. They're running ads on TV about Harris' border failures and her "San Francisco liberalism," which I guess is supposed to be an insult. But I don't think they've found anything that's gaining traction with anyone not already MAGA or Evangelical, and all of a sudden there's some fresh air in a stale election.

The switch from Biden to Harris not only surprised the GOP but seems to have finally coalesced a possible sliver of a majority of voters who just want Trump to go away.

Even more so than 2020, if Kamala Harris is Option A, even better. The fundraising, the Zoom calls, the new voter registrations all seem to point to momentum for the Democrats at this point in time. And you would assume a coronation at the Democratic convention would keep the positive energy flowing.

Again, we're three full months away, and Republicans will eventually find a message that resonates. But they're running out of time and Vance's crazy anti-women/weird fake hillbilly ranting is a boat anchor they didn't expect. I'm stunned but pleased the GOP screech machine got caught flat-footed when Biden dropped out. How did they not have a plan if Biden suddenly died?

College-educated suburban women opted for Biden over Trump here in Georgia four years ago, and carried Ossoff and Warnock. Reproductive freedom, particularly IVF, may play much more of a factor than any other issue for that segment of the population, way more than the economy.

I don't know. Trump is still able to scare old people into thinking the country can only be saved by him, and they don't have anything else to do than get in the senior assisted living center van and vote on Election Day. (Although Boomers were still supporting Biden before he dropped out.)

I sure hope those Rust Belt polls are accurate.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Another fine project for the new Acting Attorney General after the worthless bag of shit Merrick Garland is dumped outside the sewer plant at 8 a.m. would be to indict the fat fucker MAGA tool Louis DeJoy on several dozen felony charges for criminal obstruction and extra-administrative interference (beyond the range of procedural decision making) and march him in cuffs to jail to await criminal trial.

At which point the Democratic Majority USPS executive board can get off its collective asses and fire him the way they should have the first millisecond they were legally able to.

outofplace likes this.
  9. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

If I'm recalling and refreshing my memory correctly with articles... It's similar to the Supreme Court issue with the added bonus of shitty congressional gridlock. Biden doesn't have direct oversight over Postmaster General - he can only nominate people for the USPS Board of Governors, which are ratified or rejected by the U.S. Senate. That nine member board serves 7-year terms. However, in 2014 the board essentially went fallow, with no active members. As a result, Trump got to appoint pretty much everyone during his presidency, and those seats have been slow to turnover.

Bonus - Like a Supreme Court justice, DeJoy's tenure lasts until he steps down or the board votes him out. Roman Martinez's seat expires in December 2024, which is likely when you'd see movement on DeJoy getting pushed out, unless the Senate manages to fill a couple of the still-empty seats before then.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  10. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Not sure where you saw he was getting boat raced.

11. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

It really is remarkable the events of the last few weeks. Think about if Trump was struck elsewhere and was either killed or seriously
    wounded.

Does Biden still drop out? Who replaces Trump? Would he still be the candidate if seriously injured? And on and on.

It's almost like the assassination attempt didn't even happen. There has been almost no chatter about gun control from either side.

Like I said, Trump was humble for about 10 minutes, at least publicly.

It went from Trump being literally bullet proof and the election seemingly over to the Republicans literally grasping at straws (don't take away our plastic ones).

Last edited: Jul 29, 2024
  12. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

It's stunning how a national campaign didn't have the marketing foresight to anticipate this angle, or that the campaign didn't listen to pollsters screaming about what matters to college-educated suburban women.
    But then, yeah, look at who runs that campaign. Stephen Miller. Don Jr. Steve Bannon. Jason Miller.
    What's the opposite of DEI? Ignorance. And that ignorance is costly, with companies and campaigns.
    (I thought @Spartan Squad's definition of DEI was beautiful -- asking people to step outside their comfort zone and consider view points from other cultures etc., though he wrote it much more eloquently.)

Draft saved Draft deleted