1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Five-ring circus: The Thread of the XXXIII Olympiad

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Apr 12, 2024.

1. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Agree with pretty much all of your remarks and DSD. I suspect they hedged a bit with replicating skills to account for player age, injuries and fatigue. Maybe surprisingly, LeBron, Curry, Durant and Embiid all made it to the Olympics.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Trouble brewing with the triathlon as the Seine is closed for training for a second day due to water quality concerns.

3. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Jesus Heather Cox, please shut up.

Man, the story we've heard a million times before (Coach X told me that I could one day be an Olympian) while a rally is going on is just tone deaf.

Apparently all you need to be an Olympian is to dream about it as a kid.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I hate myself for saying it but how do these trick skateboarders not wear helmets?

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Heather Cox is going to bang us over the head until we all understand that Avery Skinner's coach is actually in the volleyball building.

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Shit, I'll say it. Concrete is hard, wear your brain bucket.

playthrough likes this.
  8. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Probably should, but I'm in the camp of if you're stupid then you get what you deserve. If you land your BoogerHooker 730Quadspot and then get brain damage falling face-first into the metal rail, that's on you.

Tony Hawk wears one. Shawn White wore one snowboarding. Youngsters think they're invincible, though.

At almost 60, I hate wearing a helmet when I ride my bike. Didn't wear one when I was a kid, our now late-20s kids didn't wear them. We all survived.

And then I think about falling into a guardrail, or flying into a ditch if some asshole hits me, or landing on my head with a tire blowout like I had three weeks ago. And so I wear the melon shell.

It'll end up as a duathlon, which is a shame for the athletes who trained for all three events.

Paris had, what, at least seven years to figure out this shit -- literally -- in the Seine? All of whatever efforts they made, containment pools, filters, blah blah blah, and it's still a river of bacteria.

playthrough and Neutral Corner like this.
  9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

It's great that Canada won its first gold in woman's judo but that sport is really tough to watch

10. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

To some degree I think it was inevitable given how much rain entered the sewer system over Friday and Saturday. Not an expert on the topic, but that tends to cause overflows in the system.

I kind of wonder if it's just a function of a major metropolitan area that has a wastewater system that is centuries old.

SixToe likes this.
  11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Helmets are mandatory for competitors under 18.

12. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

USA women's volleyball comes from 2-0 down to force a fifth set, but loses it to China 15-13. Tough opener as the 2020 Olympic champs (USA) met the 2016 champs (China).

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted