1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

White Dudes have raised $2.5 million thus far on their Zoom call, they're calling themselves “Couches Against Trump, better known as CATS," and the dude is speaking:

2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

That's one way to get Mayor Pete into the Senate, but Michigan might be the safest of all the battlegrounds — Kamala is +10 there in favorability.

She needs a running mate that'll shore up the Midwest and will attack Stinky and Flipper. Walz may not be a matinee idol, but he fits the bill. Peters .... zzzzzzzzz.

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Sitting on this call and Damn just give the VP slot to Tim Walz.

4. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

The difference in this campaign, compared to the last two?
    From one side we get: Joy. Laughter. Optimism.
    From the other side: Darkness. Fear. And the unabashed embracing of ignorance, which is the most baffling to me, because ignorance can be changed.

Slacker, Driftwood, Songbird and 10 others like this.
  5. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

Obama had Uncle Joe.

Give us Uncle Tim for Kamala.

gingerbread and Twirling Time like this.
  6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Friedman's right.

Opinion | Conversations and insights about the moment.

It is now a truism that if Democrats have any hope of carrying key swing states and overcoming Trump’s advantages in the Electoral College, they have to break through to white, working-class, non-college-educated men and women, who, if they have one thing in common, feel denigrated and humiliated by Democratic, liberal, college-educated elites. They hate the people who hate Trump more than they care about any Trump policies. Therefore, the dumbest message Democrats could seize on right now is to further humiliate them as “weird.”

“It is not only a flight from substance,” noted Prof. Michael J. Sandel of Harvard, author of “The Tyranny of Merit: Can We Find the Common Good?” “It allows Trump to tell his supporters that establishment elites look down on them, marginalize them and view them as ‘outsiders’ — people who are ‘weird.’ It plays right into Trump’s appeal to his followers that he is taking the slings and arrows of elites for them. It is a distraction from the big argument that Democrats should be running on: How we can renew the dignity of work and the dignity of working men and women.”

I don’t know what is sufficient for Harris to win, but I sure know what is necessary: a message that is dignity-affirming for working-class Americans, not dignity-destroying. If this campaign is descending into name-calling, no one beats Trump in that arena.

7. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Ok. I found the White Dudes thing borderline cringe. But getting THE DUDE and the CATS acronym is outstanding.

Really ties the thing together.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Sorry. You're not cleared for that.

SixToe, Cosmo, HanSenSE and 1 other person like this.
  9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I don't know. Maybe something like affirming the importance of unions would work. Maybe opposing workplace discrimination on the basis of race could resonate.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  10. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I don’t think he is right. That excerpt sounds like elitist fart sniffing.

I’ve said a lot that the message of the 2018, 2020 and 2022 elections, and the special elections in between, is that people want the trumplican party to STOP BEING CRAZY. And they still haven’t gotten the fucking message.

That’s what the “weird” message is. Nothing more. Stop being fucking crazy. Stop being fucking weird.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The old board was shut down for less than this.

franticscribe and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted