1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB '24 Regular Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Mar 20, 2024.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Defense let him down, but it's hard to feel sorry for anybody who walks five in 4.1 IP and who has had trouble throwing strikes his entire pro career.
    (Also very telling that a guy who can't throw strikes somehow makes it to the Majors in the first place.)
    The draft strategy -- best available player -- has worked extremely well, but this is an organization with no decent healthy pitching prospects.

2. tapintoamerica

The White Sox led the Royals 5-2 through seven innings in hopes of breaking their 14-game L streak. Started walking people. Bobby Witt Jr. with a slam to make it 8-5 KC.

3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

But is he the father?

4. tapintoamerica

Bottom of ninth: Witt makes not one but two diving or lunging plays in the hole at short and throws the guy out from the outfield grass.
    Sox have lost 15 straight. It's their longest L streak within a single season in team history.
    They appear intent on challenging the 1962 Mets. They're the first team to win ≤ 27 of a season's first 109 games since the 1932 Red Sox and only the fifth such team since 1901.

And Garrett Crochet kept himself from getting traded away from it.

5. Spartan Squad

Braves are hurting for bats. He’s hurting the Giants’ offense. It’s a win-win.

HanSenSE likes this.
  6. Spartan Squad

Full details of the trade. Jackson might be the best of the dumps (and by best, I’m glad he’s gone). And Soler was serving as a DH. Hopefully he finds a way in Atlanta.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Braves are picking up his salary for the duration of the contract as well. So, the Giants "rebuild" continues.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  8. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

There have been plenty of bad White Sox teams in my decades of rooting for them, but this one has taken the fine art of blowing leads to new levels. As shown tonight.

Regarding Crochet, not sure if it’s his agent or him who’s demanding he be kept a starter and/or that he gets a contract extension. But this is his first year starting games and it comes after Tommy John surgery in 2022, so I understand the reasoning.

Liut likes this.
  9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Since the game wasn't official, normally it doesn't count and they start from scratch, but it is an interesting thought exercise.

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I was honestly skeptical of Witt at first. I was thinking let him get his feet wet first before we start throwing that kind of money at him.
    Now we can give the kid a raise if we need to.
    If you would have told me before the year that on this date, the Royals would be 58-49, 6 1/2 games back in the division, and be right there for the Wild Card, I would have asked you how the first half of 1985 has treated you so far.
    This is a good team.
    If they could get a good shutdown reliever today, they could be a very good team.

Liut and FileNotFound like this.
  11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Great line about the bear.

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I can't stand it when someone with 300+ minor-league innings -- very successful innings -- steps on a major-league mound and loses location. They're so afraid of putting something in the middle of the plate, they "nibble" themselves into trouble.

If Baltimore does not do something today to dramatically bolster its rotation, the O's are not going anywhere in October. Turning to your No. 4 and No. 5 starters can't be such a losing proposition.

Draft saved Draft deleted