1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

If Stinky gets elected, Elmo's Dogecoin will be the go-to.

2. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Money laundering is yugely important in trumplican world.

3. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Spirit Airlines abandoning budget fares with upmarket strategy. I flew once on standby back from the Cotton Bowl and was fortunate to get the Big Front Seat, which will now be marketed as First Class.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

A lot of players are struggling in that industry. Southwest announced it is ending the open seating policy its always been known for, and it is going to offer assigned seats and premium seating.

5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Saw that last week, and I think it’s a shame.

I don’t fly a lot — once or occasionally twice a year — but I always found Southwest’s open seating policy gets people seated a lot quicker than assigned seats. Much less stopping and searching for your seat number, reseating people who plop down in the wrong spot, etc.

6. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I fly Southwest because of the prices/free bags and I feel the opposite. The rise of people needing wheelchairs to board flights early to get better seats is out of control and then seemingly not need assistance once they arrive -- I took a flight two weeks ago where it was eight on and one off -- negates the chance to get a seat near the front. That plus family boarding knocks out another couple rows.

A lot of people obviously leave middles open -- even traveling together -- hoping that there won't be a full flight, which almost never happens anymore. And people will continue on to the back trying not to get a middle when there's only those left, and then have to backtrack towards the open seats.

The 24-hour checkin is also stressful for people to try and get the best seat possible.

As long as I don't have a tight connection I'll still look for whatever the cheapest option is. In most cases I imagine an extra whatever amount isn't worth the 15 minutes to wait to deplane, expecially since you end up waiting on baggage anyway. And you can buy an upgrade to get on early, now if that's part of a better seat anyway that's no difference.

7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Activist investor in Spirit likely a stooge for the big airlines.

8. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I guess the “bags fly free” concept is part of my thinking on the Southwest speed of boarding..

Other airlines — and living in the Northwest, it’s usually Alaska for me — charge $30 or more for a checked bag, so it’s a mad dash to jam large carry-ons above the seats. Passengers often have to move to a different part of the cabin from where their seat is to do that, which delays the boarding process.

9. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I thankfully don't fly commercially very much anymore. The last time I did, I think, was flying from Charlotte to Minneapolis round trip, and it was a typical United Airlines shit show from start to finish. That was 2016. I can get to a good portion of the country within about an 8-hour drive, and it's just simpler.
    I can't for the life of me, though, understand why it has gotten so outrageously expensive. For the price of a ticket, which was reasonable, you got two bags, fed, drinks, etc.

I Should Coco likes this.
  10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Fuel and labor costs make up 50 to 60 percent of their expenses. It's an extremely low margin business, around 2.5 t0 3 percent margins.

The costs of jet fuel and labor have risen dramatically. ... and ticket prices have gone up.

SFIND likes this.
  11. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

From a financial, ecological and hassle standpoint, I’m pretty much done flying in the 48 states. I’ll drive most places East of the Mississippi and have taken trains to the West Coast and Texas to visit family.

2muchcoffeeman and Driftwood like this.
  12. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

If some of these limited run airlines like Avelo and Allegiant can figure out how to fly someone round trip for under $150, why can't the big boys? Those airlines operate more like bus routes, and you have to travel on the days they fly, but you can get a lot of places pretty cheap.
    I just looked, I can fly out of Wilmington, NC on a Thursday to a couple of New England airports and fly back Sunday round trip for $142 on Avelo. They don't fly everywhere, but where they do, it's reasonable.

Draft saved Draft deleted