1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Five-ring circus: The Thread of the XXXIII Olympiad

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Apr 12, 2024.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I thought Snoop Dog was a reach, but Kornacki?

2. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

47 minutes into the women's triathlon, and not only did we probably give everyone e.coli, it rained this morning, which meant all the roads (much of which are cobblestone) are wet, and there have been several wipeouts.

EDIT: Christ on (or off) a bike, there have been more wrecks than the last 10 laps at Talladega. Also, we had a volunteer who I think wanted to do the Tour de France push, which may or may not have been legal.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2024
  3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I would not be surprised if by the 2028 Games viewers will have the ability to choose AI-generated announcers of their choice. You can select Schenkel to call the track and field and I can pick Homer Simpson.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  4. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

It only makes sense that an Olympics in Paris has athletes' village drama over baked goods.

dixiehack likes this.
  5. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

6. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

The IOC would never give up the cash grab that is the bidding war for future sites, but if they went to a USGA-style rotation, Paris would definitely need to be in there. I can't believe it's taken 100 years for that city to host the games again because the vibe has been amazing.

Just spitballing the Summer Games possiblities, considering facilities, population and history ...

EUROPE: London, Paris, Rome, Madrid, Berlin (yeah, 1936), Amsterdam, Stockholm, Moscow
    NORTH AMERICA: Los Angeles, San Francisco (will never happen), Toronto, New York (will never happen), Vancouver, Minneapolis/Indianapolis?
    ASIA: Tokyo, Bejing, Sydney, Seoul, Delhi?, Bangkok?
    SOUTH AMERICA: Rio?
    AFRICA: Cairo? Johannesburg?

Huggy likes this.
  7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It does kind of suck realizing this is the last Paris games of my lifetime. It is a great location, history, culture, scenic etc. Giving global warming concerns, I think a place like Buenos Aires (where it is winter and in the 60s right now, would work.

Inky_Wretch and maumann like this.
  8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Toronto would be a great choice (and had a strong bid for 1996 torpedoed by the Bread Not Circuses crowd on city council) and while the Pan Am Games were a hit here a few years ago I am not sure there is much interest in another go at the Olympics given the huge issues facing the Toronto area right now, lack of affordable housing, unemployment and insane traffic at all hours

Liut, maumann and franticscribe like this.
  9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Barcelona > Madrid?
    Saint Petersburg > Moscow?

Singapore . . . or would the flood of people mess up their immaculate place?

maumann likes this.
  10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

That shit is played out.

I am a big fan of US's Beiwen Zhang in singles badminton. I love the singles competition.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The Kornacki thing feels like either NBC trying to justify his salary by making him do more than politics or him being geeky about sports as well and wanting to have fun.

I don’t mind it. He scored a big daily double at one of the Triple Crown race cards. It shut up some of the horse racing folks who didn’t like him on those broadcasts.

2muchcoffeeman, HanSenSE and Webster like this.
  12. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Delhi and Jo’burg are absolute non-starters, but Singapore and Cape Town would work very well in their places. Singapore might be tough because of its weather — hot and steamy pretty much year-round — but its infrastructure would totally be up to the task.

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted