1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

What Avelo is doing is non replicable beyond a few small regional airports (that it abandons quickly when things don't work -- it just dropped another Cali airport), using a tiny fleet of used planes. It also is a s tart up. It has been blowing through cash. It's a niche airline that may or may not be around in a few years. The guy who started it is experienced in the industry, but it is a really tough business to compete in. Either way, it's not an airline that will take you round trip to where you actually need to go. It's an airline that you might book if it happens to fly within 25 miles of where you need to be, and even then you have to hold your breath that the trip goes off without a hitch. You can't compare something like that to a major airline.

FileNotFound likes this.
  2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I've flown Allegiant.

Don't do that.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I make a huge number of typos on here, so I have nothing but grace for @The Big Ragu. But “tart up” just became my new favorite description for everything.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I place Spirit in the same category.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

When I lived in Charlotte I had a choice:

--- Leave the house 40 minutes before my flight at Concord Regional Airport, check in and board immediately on Allegiant and fly non-stop to Fort Lauderdale in a little more than an hour. Or . . .

--- Leave 2 hours and 45 minutes before my flight at CLT on the other side of town. Take a shuttle to the terminal. Delta flight to Fort Lauderdale takes 3+ hours counting Atlanta layover. For significantly more money.

I chose Allegiant. :eek:

Driftwood likes this.
  6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I'm pretty cheap, but I like to pay up to avoid engine failures, cabin smoke, hydraulic leaks, and to buy a semblence of hope that I will get to my destination reasonably close to when I expected.

7. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

WSJ reporting that Delta says the CrowdStrike outage cost them $500 million. Wonder how that balances out against what they saved by reducing their customer service staff and offshoring IT.

8. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Then you should avoid any airline with a fleet of Boeings.

micropolitan guy likes this.
  9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

FedEx just said it is cutting domestic flights by 30% and shifting to trucks. There's been a change by shippers to cheaper shipping options.

10. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Also: Frontier, which has seats with the softness quality of your average 1980s High School gym bleachers.

11. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I fly anywhere between 100,000 miles and 200,000 miles a year for business. For personal trips, unless time is absolutely of the essence, I’m driving anything that is 15 hours or less.

TigerVols likes this.
  12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Last year, I flew Frontier from BWI to MCO and Spirit home. I found Spirit to be a much more comfortable experience than Frontier, which I would never fly again given how miserable those seats were. I honestly had no issue with Spirit beyond stigma.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted