1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

I've told this story before but my nephew played on a soccer team with a few friends, all Mexican.
    He was the only "white" guy on the team.

We sat next to some families, who were enjoying the game, having a picnic like several others. Only difference was they were all speaking Spanish. My sister didn't care for them just based on looks and language but I saw opportunity for her transportation and party business.

I suggested for future games she print up some flyers and hand them out for parties and quincineras. She had a built-in clientele with little effort. She never did it as far as I know.

These people were no different than any other family at any similar event. They were working families supporting their children.

I've found that true in almost every case with a diverse crowd. They didn't want to be any better than us "white" folks. They only want the opportunity to be equal.

That gets entirely lost in the message that all immigrants and people of color are criminals, out to do us harm, take our jobs, etc. and must be stopped at all costs.

Do the people spouting that crap even try to get to know someone different from them? Unfortunately, I doubt it.

2. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Most don’t know and don’t care. Some do know but spout the crap anyway because they see it as politically advantageous.

They must have an enemy to blame all their problems on. Because their problems can’t possibly be of their own making.

Gutter likes this.
  3. kickoff-time

Well, my sister couldn't put away her bias for 5 minutes even though she agreed handing out flyers was a good idea. I'm pretty sure she didn't do it. But we live in different states and different political worlds.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Don't watch her too much but she brings up alarming thoughts about Trump foregoing votes and going straight to the rigging.

5. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

What’s really funny is in liberal Bay Area, I’ve been seeing the signs and stickers pop up. Saw one of the small dick pickup flag brigade members flying.

maumann likes this.
  6. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

There are a couple of houses between Martinez and Pleasant Hill last summer we drove by that were lit up with Trump flags and banners like Christmas Eve. Of course, Contra Costa is the outlier.

Our homeowners association here in bumfudge Georgia "bans" large campaign signs. But that doesn't mean at least a half dozen folks have "TRUMP" garden flags next to their mailboxes.

7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Can we nail down the correct pronunciation of Walz? On TV I've heard it as "Walls" and as "Waltz." The German pronunciation would be "Vaults."

If I'm on his team, I need to know! :)

maumann likes this.
  8. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

To his fans, he's the greatest.....to everyone else, he's just a dick

The Adventures of Trump Unfairlane

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

They don't care. When I first moved to central Pennsylvania almost 20 years ago to start my newspaper career, I had no idea how many Hispanics had moved into the region -- and how many white people hated it. You ultimately learn that many of these people (a) moved to the United States from Puerto Rico, so they're not "illegals" the way these morons would have you believe and (b) a bunch of them moved to Chambersburg and York and Reading from places like New York and Philadelphia because they wanted a quieter and safer place to raise their kids, just like the friggin' white people.

10. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

I have relatives in Texas who over the last 15 years have become outraged by the number of hispanic people living in Texas.

They're not what you would call, "smart."

11. kickoff-time

Almost every Latino, mostly Mexican, person I've worked with has been hard-working, friendly, did their job, rarely complained and caused almost no problems.
    Now were the eight guys I picked in a company van one day all here legally? I can't say but they did their job better than most.

2muchcoffeeman and HanSenSE like this.
  12. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Texas used to be part of what?!?!!?!?

WriteThinking likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted