1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

That was before Trump kissed getting more than 2 percent of the black vote goodbye today.

Tarheel316, HanSenSE and gingerbread like this.
  2. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

In 2016, there was a dislike and indifference to both candidates. Things were largely going well in the country. A lot of people said "why the hell not" with trump.

Well, we know now "why the hell not."

I really hope the lesson has been learned.

3. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I cannot "like" this enough. It's what I wanted, too -- an explanation of the NABJ co-chair's resignation, and the reasons for it, and what the problem apparently was with having Trump as a guest. We need him to do more such interviews, so that he gets hit hard, and exposed, the way he was today. And journalists should want to do such things. It is what has been missing from this election with regard to Trump all along -- by all of the media -- as if it's afraid to approach him, and really put him on the spot, etc.

(And Trump likes athletes/sports. The AWSM should invite him to something, letting him know that he will be questioned. He would probably come, maybe even thinking, "What could a bunch of women sports journalists possibly have on me?")

Last edited: Jul 31, 2024
    gingerbread and HanSenSE like this.
  4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I'm sure Beshear would make a fine VP but I don't see the upside. Kentucky has 7 EVs and he won't deliver even those. The only bordering state that is even slightly in play is Virginia.

Walz has broader appeal across the Midwest that grows with each passing day. Mayor Pete is a cycle or two away but will get there. Hardly any of the rest is perfect.

Time to Build the Wallz.

5. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Part of it might be wishful thinking, but I really do think he is getting more deranged with every passing day. It's a long time until November, and there is no telling what he is liable to say between now and then.
    Keep digging your own grave, dipshit. Keep digging.

6. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I kind of agree with this... though as has been said, VP really doesn't impact swing states at all. I knew little about Walz and like him. He'd be a great choice.

I think a strong case for Beshear is to reinforce the youth movement. The freshness that trump, who is far too old and senile to be president, is severely lacking.

As I've said before, all would be good choices. And better than Couch Fucker.

7. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I think there's a large swath of the American public that is just fucking done with Trump and want him out of daily life. Unfortunately, the only previous option was to vote for a dead-man walking. Now there's a better and much more palatable choice, and Trump can't stop stepping in it. He also has no policy to run on or reference. 17 million illegals are durrrr taking all the black jobs is not policy. His 33 percent isn't going anywhere, but there's clear momentum toward the hesitant Biden voter re-emerging, galvanized with the idea of ending Trump once and for all. My take, anyway. But no, not taking anything for granted here.

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Given the stakes, I've been most disappointed in Obama's lack of urgency in skewering fatF*ck. I know you were president but extreme times call for extreme measures. You've endorsed VP Harris, nice, your voice and guidance are needed. Please answer the call.

SFIND, garrow, TowelWaver and 3 others like this.
  10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I wish I didn’t believe there were so many people in this country who were willing to sacrifice their scruples and their disdain for racism over nostalgia for the days of the $7.99 fast food combo meal. Harris has pulled this thing back to a 50-50 proposition but I don’t know that anybody can feel confident in the outcome entering November 5.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I agree with almost all of this assessment. Those who follow politics tend to overthink it. Since last year it's been obvious that a decisive bloc of the electorate didn't want to vote for Biden and didn't want to vote for Trump. Now those voters don't have to pick one of the options they hated. Harris has done a great job exploiting that fact, but it's the fact that's driving the election right now.

qtlaw, SFIND, Baron Scicluna and 5 others like this.
  12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I do wonder how much of Trump's performance art today was his innate racism, and how much of it was being pissed off people were talking about Vance more than him.

gingerbread likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted