1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Five-ring circus: The Thread of the XXXIII Olympiad

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Apr 12, 2024.

1. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Even her facial expression no-sales the premise here. I'm impressed.

As was mentioned a while back re: Caitlin Clark, they don't just let you walk on to a 3x3 roster. You have to accumulate points by playing in sanctioned 3x3 events. Even if you just showed up, the last-chance qualifying tournaments were in April and May, so the playoffs.

Singapore did host the first Youth Olympics in 2010 but that was about 1/9th of the size.

2. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

Let's be honest - beach volleyball has women in bikinis with gratuitous ass shots.

That's why it got popular. May-Walsh didn't dominate until 2004-2012 and beach volleyball got started with the Atlanta games in '96.

Karch Kiraly and Kent Steffes won gold 8 years before the ladies. No one remembers Steffes and not many more remember Kiraly despite him coaching the women's indoor team.

3x3 ain't beach volleyball.

And beach volleyball only grew at colleges because of Title IX and the fact it doesn't cost much.

Liut and Inky_Wretch like this.
  3. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Beach volleyball got popilar because of Misty and Kerry. You said it yourself, it started 1996 with the same women and the same bikinis and the same ass shots and no one gave a rat's fuck until two All-American chicks ran the show for a decade. That's why it grew, that's why it's one of the hardest tickets to get for the Olympics. That's why ut got in colleges.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I was at the opening day of beach volleyball in '96. It drew a banged-out, joyously raucous crowd at a venue outside of town in what was then the middle of near nowhere. It was popular from day one. The athletes were extremely emotional about becoming Olympians, too.

5. nickp

nickp Active Member

Both USA 3x3 teams being winless at the Olympics is definitely embarrassing

6. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    I’m sorry, I thought this was the Olympics, not a Bob Costas gun show.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Is beach volleyball now a sanctioned NCAA sport? For some reason, I thought it was just club with a championship tournament in Gulf Shores.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yes, NCAA-sanctioned. USC has won six of the eight championships, UCLA the other two.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  9. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Big Ten, beach volleyball power, is just the most wrong thing ever typed.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

From what I've seen of this 3x3 team, it would be Tim Tebow's asthmatic, bookkeeper son.

sgreenwell and dixiehack like this.
  11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Elizabeth Beisel does little vignettes/in the arena stories for swimming, and they are very charming. I usually see her during the heats.
    What's in a swimmer's bag/a look at the pre-race holding room. Stuff like that.
    Much more interesting than "the player's coach thought he/she could be an Olympian at age 9" stuff.

sgreenwell likes this.
  12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Olympic golf looks like ... regular tour golf. An absolute crime that this isn't a two-man team format.

Draft saved Draft deleted