1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Shelbyville Manhattan

Shelbyville Manhattan Well-Known Member

The country is in bad shape because of the Vice President, who in most administrations is basically as impactful as a piece of furniture in the Lincoln Bedroom?

I think we know how this guy took a perennial 10-win Cincinnati program down to 4-8.

gingerbread likes this.
  2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

3. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

Surprised Trump didn't say he and Kamala were related and go even more off base.

After all, her dad was born in Jamaica. Trump also was born in Jamaica - Hospital in Queens and lived in Jamaica Heights.

TigerVols and HanSenSE like this.
  4. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Wait until Trump reveals that Jamaica is an island. Nobody knew. Nobody knew.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

It’s all her fault that Ala can’t come up with someone better than a washed up football coach to represent them in the Senate.

garrow and tapintoamerica like this.
  6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Well, the other Senator IS better, but that isn't saying much.

7. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

8. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

You're right. Maybe all that. Maybe everything you said. And I'm sorry I didn't know everything that went on. Maybe that's why I (and, I'm sure, a lot of others, too) didn't understand, and why I asked?

But your first point? Maybe people are upset with NABJ leadership because this is the National Association of BLACK JOURNALISTS and we allowed our annual convention to be headlined by a man that many believe to be a racist AND is someone who has spent the past decade convincing his passionate fans that the press is the enemy of the people.

All the more reason to confront him with the questions/interview, because Trump is not only all of those things, but he ALSO is the Republican nominee for President of the U.S! Again! That is why what was done was important, impacting, and good.

And your second point? Maybe people are upset with NABJ leadership because they allowed our convention to predictably turn into a PR platform for Trump and a circus for attendees.

I doubt Trump's camp was looking at his performance in the interview as anything remotely related to a positive PR platform when they were trying to yank/chase him off-stage as quickly as possible. Whatever the cost, the NABJ did a good thing in making/letting him look so bad. It is exactly what the mainstream media has NOT been doing enough, and thereby, Trump has gotten away with...well, everything. It may even be why he's the Republican nominee at all. People, especially among his party, just have not seen or really understood, in an inarguable way, how bad he really is.

Attendees may look at that gathering as a family reunion. But the reality is that it is not. It's a professional organization (of journalists), and I'd think even young or prospective media members should understand that.

I may be ignorant (and certainly even more so, inexperienced) as far as living with and from a Black perspective, and I appreciate yours. I do. But I (and others on here) are not ignorant or inexperienced as journalists. And what the NABJ had, whether it wanted it, or not, was the proverbial big get, and a lot of people got something out of it, and really saw and heard some things that were needed, and so, my feeling is, his appearance at the convention -- a journalism-related convention -- was valuable, and worth the apparent trouble. If that wasn't the case for you, maybe try to look at it from a journalistic perspective. Because from that viewpoint, I don't know why the NABJ wouldn't have wanted the chance that it got to interview Trump.

It was certainly a tough session for him. If it was for the interviewers, too, well, I don't think that would've been anything to be unexpected, given the subject and his proclivities. And hopefully, it won't be the last tough interview that any NABJ members have to do in their careers/lives, either.

And as a followup, every one of those interviewers ought to be doing analysis/opinion pieces on that spectacle. I'd think that would certainly give everyone some informed perspective.

UNCGrad and gingerbread like this.
  9. WriteThinking

Thanks for this. It makes sense, and explains a lot.

I hope the NABJ does pursue a future interview with Harris.

10. WriteThinking

Uh..thanks, dixiehack?

Wow.

11. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Dial M for Murdoch

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted