1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. tea and ease

tea and ease Well-Known Member

Weird, right?

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Drove back from said work assignment in the Virginia boonies last night, this time taking US 58 to US 360 to get from Laurel Fork back to my office in Midlothian, just outside of Richmond. Again, prime ass MAGA "Land Mass" Virginia. Nearly four hours. One Trump Vance sign. And one weird ass Trump store on the outskirts of Danville, which appeared to be getting little traffic. Don't get me wrong, the folks in those areas will still vote red, but my eyes tell me the enthusiasm for this particular go-around is nil. Drove the same way in 2020 for an assignment and Trump signs were everywhere.

3. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

4. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I can also verify that I don't see as many signs, flags, or stickers on trucks riding through rural areas. I don't know how much that will affect the election. The places where you saw it before went red and will again because the active voters are throwing the lever for the R candidate no matter who. I seriously question how many of those types actually voted in 16 or 20. I think most of them were like the people who bought and wore Duck Dynasty t-shirts. They probably didn't even watch the show. It was just the fad of the time.

franticscribe likes this.
  5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Not sure why this isn't getting more traction. Free link:

https://wapo.st/46AfgL6

Five days before Donald Trump became president in January 2017, a manager at a bank branch in Cairo received an unusual letter from an organization linked to the Egyptian intelligence service. It asked the bank to “kindly withdraw” nearly $10 million from the organization’s account — all in cash.

Inside the state-run National Bank of Egypt, employees were soon busy placing bundles of $100 bills into two large bags, according to records from the bank. Four men arrived and carried away the bags, which U.S. officials later described in sealed court filings as weighing a combined 200 pounds and containing what was then a sizable share of Egypt’s reserve of U.S. currency.

Federal investigators learned of the withdrawal, which has not been previously reported, early in 2019. The discovery intensified a secret criminal investigation that had begun two years earlier with classified U.S. intelligence indicating that Egyptian President Abdel Fatah El-Sisi sought to give Trump $10 million to boost his 2016 presidential campaign, a Washington Post investigation has found.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Same. The only place I see anything Trump is one particular farm with an eggs-and-vegetables stand out front, and nobody shops for their eggs and vegetables anymore.

Driftwood likes this.
  7. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Just to chime in, yes. It’s huge. They had to ban the cards last year in my son’s elementary school. My son was just singing the theme song. He’s 8.

sgreenwell, garrow and TowelWaver like this.
  8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Per the NYT, Trump and Harris to debate on 9/4 in Pennsylvania, moderated by Fox News.

9. TowelWaver

TowelWaver Well-Known Member

Same experience. My 14-year old still plays the video games, occasionally watches the cartoons, etc.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  10. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

If I were Harris and her team, I'd say, "OK, we'll do Fox, but we select the moderators from Fox's stable."
    Otherwise, it will be a shitshow debating Trump and two Fox tag team partners.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

It's Bret Baier and Martha MacCallum, not exactly Judge Jean and Jesse Watters.

Liut and Driftwood like this.
  12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

No, not yet. Trump proposed this, but Harris has yet to agree. I doubt she will, especially to the large audience demand.

TowelWaver, matt_garth and Azrael like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted