1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Five-ring circus: The Thread of the XXXIII Olympiad

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Apr 12, 2024.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Got a few aces coming up in track and field. McLaughlin-Levrone, Grant Holloway and Ryan Crouser are heavy favorites, and a bunch of others have a really good chance to take home gold, such as Lyles, Richardson, Rai Benjamin, Gabby Thomas, Quincy Hall, Masai Russell and Brooke Anderson.

2. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Yeah, and considering how the US track team underimpressed on the men's side in Tokyo, it's refreshing.

Of course, it's tremendously spoiling to watch Michael Phelps, but it's weird to see so many swim races where the best person in the pool, whether it be Marchand, McIntosh, Titmus or McKeown, is not American. Even Katie Ledecky isn't exactly a slam dunk in the 800 free tomorrow.

3. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

As long as he doesn't do any laundry Lakers games.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

My dream in track is for Kung-Fu Kenny Bednarik to beat Lyles for gold in the 100 and 200.

5. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Considering he's from Wisconsin (near but not in my coverage area), here's hoping.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Wang and Lee of Taiwan (or Chinese Taipei, as the IOC calls it) won their semifinal over Denmark to advance to the final against the other Chinese team.

7. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

This is an Olympic deep cut, but after competing with his brother in Rio and winning a silver medal in lightweight rowing, Paul O'Donovan has added two golds to his total.

I am sure that this is not the most Irish thing that has ever happened, but it probably is in the top 20.

"When it comes down to it, it's the same-distance course that we have for training in Cork, believe me, there's just a big grandstand and a fancy paint job."
    "The French said they were gonna take us out for some baguettes and wine downtown in Paris later on today."

This is the original from eight years ago.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  8. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I noticed he got his ass kicked in the comments. Is there really a legitimate discussion to be had about whether or not she should be allowed to compete with women?

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Yeah, no male has ever been questioned for suspiciously taking things to alter their body and give them an unfair advantage. :rolleyes:

Because of biology, women have a greater arc in which they CAN alter their bodies if they so choose. Thus, their window of suspicion is unfortunately larger, even if they haven't done anything beyond eating their spinach every day.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2024
  11. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

This woman competed in Tokyo three years ago without any controversy.

I doubt that the test she took that showed elevated testosterone was the first time she took that test. And I presume there were no issues the other times, otherwise we would have heard about them.

Webster likes this.
  12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

A friend of mine is a boxing official at the international level. Got the call in 2021 to work Tokyo but not this time despite his high ranking (they only took one official from the U.S. this year). I should see him today and I'll ask him about it.

franticscribe and Smallpotatoes like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted