1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Five-ring circus: The Thread of the XXXIII Olympiad

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Apr 12, 2024.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

US Women trying to set back the popularity of soccer 30 years

Halfback passes to the center. Back to the wing. Back to the center. Center holds it....

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I’ve watched the past hour which is the most soccer I’ve watched in a decade and I see nothing at all has changed in the world’s most boring sport.

Tighthead and poindexter like this.
  3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Ass-kicked in the comments on Elon’s MAGA site? Means you’re probably correct.

She was born a girl, raised a girl and is listed as female on all her government paperwork. There is no question she is boxing in the correct division.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  4. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

I mean I was never crazy about Olympic golf, but this leaderboard is quite attractive.

And what else I enjoy for this is that there's only three spots that matter. That fourth-place spot doesn't walk away with a $750K check for their troubles.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I get it, gentlemen. But Japan is in a 5-4-1. They've parked the bus (slashed the tires, siphoned the gas tank, yanked the distributor wire). Japan is playing for the counterattack goal and, if that fails, take their chances in the shootout.

It's not that the US is trying to be boring or not trying to do anything, but when someone possessing some skill and enough commitment is sitting back, this is what can happen.

Reminiscent of 2016 when Pia Sundhage, former US coach and was with Sweden at the time, did something similar and beat the Americans in the shootout (this is what triggered Hope Solo to call the Swedes "cowards" and got her tossed out of the program).

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Jon Rahm in the mix adds a lot of juice. And Scheffler lurks for the final round.

7. poindexter

No idea why they let these terrible runners run in heats. 2 of the guys i just saw in a 100 m heat had a worse time than California CIF girls state champ.

Everyone gets a participation ribbon.

8. poindexter

Fair enough. On the other hand, I saw a cross from our right wing late in the first half that went about 12 yards, on the ground, and directly to the opponent. Tough day.

9. Sam Mills 51

The one thing I won't argue is the US has had five corner kicks. Still nothing on the scoreboard.

Julie Foudy, easily the best women's color analyst this country knows - and one of the 99ers - has had a damning stat handy. The US has scored one goal on set pieces in the last 4 1/2 years. That's ... not good.

dixiehack likes this.
  10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

12 miles to go in the men's road race, one cyclist off the front ... and CNBC goes to commercial.

11. poindexter

Haha, she brought that out last game. Would be funny if she said it again today.

USA likes those short corners. Never see anything come of it.

12. Sam Mills 51

Leave it to a Rodman to spice up a match.

HanSenSE likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted