1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Five-ring circus: The Thread of the XXXIII Olympiad

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Apr 12, 2024.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

In general, I loathe short corners. Why?

At least it's not quite as useless as when they did that on occasion when they had Abby Wambach in the human scrum off of corners. One of the most fearless, aggressive players stronger than all her peers – and, most importantly, not afraid to stick her head in a set piece – and you go for a short corner? Not smart.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Short corners are great when you have a plan. The defense often breaks down.

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

That was some strike for Rodman.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

US cyclist should be in a sprint for bronze in the men's road race. 7km to go.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Same reason the SWAC and Big Sky get to send representatives to March Madness. There’s something intangible that would be lost if these smaller schools/nations had no formal path to participate. And every great once in a while some magic happens and everyone forgets the parade of 95-58 clunkers along the way.

6. Inky_Wretch

Welp, the US guy finished in the top 10 of the road race. Chasers caught him and another guy and he didn't have the legs for a bunch sprint for bronze.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

US women's soccer team to semifinals. In a "slog" ... Foudy said as much. The PBP called it "a frustrating game to watch."

So the points of Poin and TV are noted. But soccer isn't always about beauty, particularly when tactics are this blatant. But that's also a part of the sport.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I'll still never get it that it's considered a good thing in soccer that nobody really knows when the game is over.

Oh well.

9. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

I am still waiting for someone to explain to me how Puerto Rico, a territory of the United States, competes as a standalone country in the Olympics...

rb

10. Inky_Wretch

Based on my extensive Olympic viewing, the majority of a judo match is the competitors adjusting their gi after a tussle that results in neither scoring a point.

franticscribe and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  11. Typist Clerk

Typist Clerk Well-Known Member

The IOC recognizes National Olympic Committees rather than countries. Territories can have NOCs, and Puerto Rico does. So do American Samoa and Guam. Puerto Rico sent three boxers to the 1980 Moscow Olympics, but competed under the Olympic flag.

franticscribe likes this.
  12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

USA Basketball decides to play like USA Basketball.

Draft saved Draft deleted