1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Five-ring circus: The Thread of the XXXIII Olympiad

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Apr 12, 2024.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Organizations
    Short answer: These aren't "countries" participating in the Olympics, they are National Olympic Committees. So Puerto Rico is like Taiwan and Palestine. Maybe not universally accepted "countries" but enough to "count."

franticscribe likes this.
  2. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

This is why I rely on SJ.com for my info! Thx!

rb

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

So we can send Trumpistan and Wokeistan delegations if we wish.

swingline likes this.
  4. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

As soon as you create separate classificatations based on anything, whether it’s sex, age, experience level, or ability level, people are going to accuse the best in the lower classification of cheating it.

For all the trans panic coverage, accusing successful female athletes of being crypto-men has basically been a thing since women competed in high intensity sports. They were saying that about Helen Stephens in the 1930s, only to find (after she was murdered in a robbery in a Cleveland grocery store) that Stella Walsh, her chief rival, was in fact intersex.

This might be a repeat but the 100, men’s and women’s, is a popular venue for the “universality” places that go to make sure every country gets an entry. And it bests having them stagger around the track three laps down in the 5K like the Haitians used to do.

poindexter and HanSenSE like this.
  5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Panic. Excellent choice of word. I keep thinking back to the time of bathroom debates, when some claimed some identified female were doing so just to peek at girls in the restroom. Still think there's some who think trans athletes are identifying female just to take that scholarship or national team spot from their little Brianna, then when their competitive days are done, will again identify as male.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'd also add running is probably the most affordable and accessible sports in some countries.

dixiehack likes this.
  7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

But enough about golf.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

France against Japan for Gold in the mixed team event. France's big man and the guy who lit the cauldron, Teddy Riner, has won 11 world titles and individual Gold earlier this week. After Japan gets out to a 3-1 lead, Riner wins his match and France comes back to tie it 3-3.

To determine who fights the OT bout, they put a slot machine thing on the screen and it spun through the weight classes until it stopped on the heavyweights. After nearly 7 minutes of sparring, Riner scores the win.

Amazing ... and I'm still not sure what counts for a point and what doesn't (kind of like what is or isn't a catch in the NFL).

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Inky, no idea which sport you're talking about.

10. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Judo.

As someone who has tried a lot of wrestling/MMA adjacent sports, judo has never been my favorite.

But watching Teddy Riner win the individual medal and then clinch the team gold in the final match, in front of a home crowd, was pretty awesome.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  11. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

It seems like a lot of trouble to go through the transition process just to make the softball team or win a state track title. I’m sure it’s also quite expensive and not covered by insurance, so even with a full scholarship the kid might not come out ahead.
    And despite what some people would have you believe, it’s not as simple as just showing up and saying “I identify as a female” and being allowed to compete.
    Last year The Daily Wire produced a comedy called Lady Ballers about a group of middle-aged, mediocre former boys high school basketball players “identifying “ as women, entering a women’s tournament and dominating, all while the “woke” media praised them as heroic and inspirational.

In a panel discussion at the movie’s premiere, Ben Shapiro and the other producers said they wanted to do it as a documentary, with actual men trying to enter an actual women’s tournament.

They weren’t allowed to do that, thus blowing the premise of Lady Ballers out of the water.

What these people say is happening or could happen isn’t happening. Nobody is gaming the system.

franticscribe likes this.
  12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

As he released the shot for his first throw of the shot put final, Ryan Crouser shouted, “Get out there, ball!”

It did — 22.64 meters (74 feet, 3 1/2 inches), a full meter farther than anyone else. He could stop now and that might hold up for good.

maumann and Inky_Wretch like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted