1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Five-ring circus: The Thread of the XXXIII Olympiad

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Apr 12, 2024.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Canada-Germany headed to penalties in women's soccer.

2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I pointed out to some of them that it’s not a case of a guy who couldn’t cut it as a male athlete deciding his best chance for athletic success is to transition and compete against females. It’s just more hassle than it’s worth.

The response was that it doesn’t matter why they’re competing against girls, it’s wrong. Perhaps that’s a valid point but if a trans kid is participating it’s because they want to participate not because they’re gaining the system.

They talk about cis girls losing out on scholarships but in sports like track and swimming it’s about times and how far or high you jump or throw, not where you place in a given event.
    Likewise if a kid’s skill and talent level in a team sport is sufficiently high enough they will get recruited. It’s not necessarily a zero-sum game.

3. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

When does an Olympic athlete stop being young? Broadcasters call everyone under a certain age “young.” The young 19 year old, the young 22 year old.

Are there old 19 year olds?

garrow and Smallpotatoes like this.
  4. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

If I were Greg Beacham of the AP, I would be FURIOUS. And while I don't advocate for people losing jobs, this seems more like an agenda than a mistake. (Not sure where it belongs -- journalism thread? politics? Olympics? This topic is so alarming. Thanks Joe Rogan and your low testosterone!)

5. HanSenSE

Beacham's a workhorse for AP! Damn good reporter too. Always happy to see him on the job when news broke where he was working.

6. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

And Canada lost. Surprisingly, didn't see it coming.

dixiehack likes this.
  7. HanSenSE

These mixed relay events in track and swimming have been fun!

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

They've been my favorite so far.

franticscribe and gingerbread like this.
  9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Agree about that headline. It's horrendous.

What this whole "controversy" is missing is transparency. The IAB disqualified her last year for allegedly having male chromosomes when they did a DNA test. But they won't release the results of any test and have been incredibly murky about the exact reasons she was disqualified. They seem shady. The IOC just makes it worse, though, becaause it iis saying she's a woman and attacking anyone suggesting she isn't, but the thing that makes her female according to the spokesman is that she was “born female, was registered female, lived her life as a female, boxed as a female, has a female passport.”

Does anyone know if the IOC does DNA testing of Olympic athletes?

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I loved that 4X400 race. That Dutch woman anchoring their team ran an epic leg.

gingerbread likes this.
  11. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Who would have guessed that between the two Boston papers it was the Globe that used this headline and not the Herald?

matt_garth and gingerbread like this.
  12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Wait, so does dressage consist of making your mount tiptoe across the dirt like it’s a Tennessee Walking Horse on its first day of training?

Draft saved Draft deleted