1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Five-ring circus: The Thread of the XXXIII Olympiad

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Apr 12, 2024.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Simone Biles should be as ubiquitous on TV ads as Jordan was in his prime. She's probably the most liked US athlete out there right now, right? But when you look at Jordan, Serena, Mahomes, Tom Brady, LeBron - nobody really comes close to her universal appeal.

franticscribe and Neutral Corner like this.
  2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Women's sports exist for a reason. ... as in women don't compete against men for fair competition reasons. For reasons similar to why 11 year olds generally compete against other kids, not against full-grown adults.

Depending on what you believe, you can create distinctions about advantages -- Michael Phelps physical gifts that someone else doesn't have, so why should he be allowed compete? -- but there are going to be lines somewhere. Otherwise you'd just throw everyone into the same pool, no gender divisions, no age divisions, etc. ... and relatively young biological men who are physical specimens would win everything that requires speed and strength and endurance.

But most people draw lines and do make distinctions. Which is why these conversations seem natural to me.

I think it is cheap to dismiss anyone who has an opinion one way or the other about those lines to bigotry, at least without establishing that they are really bigots. Yes, there are bigots who get in a twist over things like this for all the obvious reasons. But women's sports exist in the first place for a reason -- trying to establish parameters of fair competition -- and whether or not bigotry exists in the world toward minorities (such as transgenders, for example). ... these are legit discussions about where those lines should exist for those fair competition reasons. I think the Michael Phelps stuff or emergency hysterectomy stuff is kind of absurd to bring into it, because those have never been lines where a majority of people made a distinction. We're not all blessed with the same physical gifts, which to me is actually the point of what makes one person an Olympic gold medalist and another a weekend warrior. But generally, the idea has been that men compete against men to try to get that medal, and the best man wins (for example, Michael Phelps with his physical gifts). Women compete against women and the best woman wins.

People want to lump things into big categories, but I also think there is a major difference between a male-to-female transgender who was born biologically male and now wants to compete against biological women, and a female with a DSD condition of some sort that made her be born with some biological attributes of a man.

I personally don't think it is out of bounds or necessarily motivated by bigotry when people question these things either, and I think what has happened in the case of transgenders (I am not talking about this Algerian boxer) was that people trying to advance broad acceptance of transgenders cowed a lot of people and shouted down the discussion at all by screaming "bigot" loudly, for example, while that Lia Thomas stuff was going on at UPenn. But you had women swimmers -- Thomas' competitors -- who really thought that it was unfair that Thomas (who had been a top male swimmer) was pasting them in the pool, and felt that their wants and desires -- to compete against other biological women, what they had trained for -- were being unfairly subjugated to the wants and desires of Thomas.I was actually really sympathetic to that . Not to the point where I was on a soapbox in the park (maybe I would have been if I was woman who was capable of competing at that level) because my life goes on either way. But as a person with an opinion, I could totally see how Thomas just wasn't the same and that lack of sameness was making a mockery of the reason that women's sports (women competing against other women, not men) came into being in the first place.

The case of a woman with (potentially) a DSD condition, such as this Algerian boxer, doesn't feel as cut and dried in the same way to me. The question for me, I guess, would really be, "Is how she was born a disqualifer for her to compete in women's competitions?" . ... pretty much the way most people would agree that the way I was born is a disqualifer? I can see it both ways, honestly. I don't see it quite as clearly as I do with transgenders.

But regardless of my opinion it just depends on where the line gets set. There are no definitive, all-knowing or scientific answers (as much as people who feel strongly try to establish them to shut down the conversation) about where the line should be, and as I said in an earlier post, in some cases gender / sex development isn't very clean, and there are degrees of DSD, so it will always be a messy distinction to make. ... there will always be that unique outlier who will come up. At the same time, I certainly don't think an honest discussion about it is out of bounds, and I can understand if there are people who feel, for example, that something like having XY chromosomes is where a line should be when it comes to women's sports.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2024
    WriteThinking likes this.
  5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And here we go again.

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Another gold for the ACC! By someone who never had anything to do with the ACC! Olympians made here (even if she wasn't)!

Are they going to claim Jim Plunkett's Heisman too?

That's such a bad look for the ACC.

sgreenwell likes this.
  7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

JFC, it's become a parody account. Just ... stop.

Spartan Squad and HanSenSE like this.
  8. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I think the big and uniquely infuriating problem here is that a lot of people (not you, by any means), are using this case about two athletes with DSDs to make a bad-faith point in favor of their own transphobia, as evidenced by their deliberately calling these people men despite their being raised and cleared to compete as women. For people who bitch and moan constantly about sports being made into a front in the culture war by the left, it's already happened twice by the right in eight days during these Olympics.

As you mentioned, the idea of an open class competition isn't probably going to fly in anything (though there have been some Olympic competitions of relatively recent vintage in sailing and shooting, IIRC, that were mixed-gender). On the other hand, it is highly unlikely that competitions specifically for persons with DSDs will ever be in the Olympic program.

I think, regarding DSD situations, I am willing to draw the circle wider than some for a variety of reasons, mostly on account of the condition being something they may have been entirely unaware of (it appears many people with DSD conditions don't even realize it until they realize they are infertile), because some of those conditions bring about other problems (I had a coworker who was candid about her being intersex and said that Type 1 diabetes was basically a given with her condition) and because we don't know the extent of the advantage (if anything) they have. Having a Y chromosome may be a convenient indicator, but does that actually confer a physiological advantage.

Regarding trans athletes, I'm not sure if we can offer anything other than empathy given the physiological advantages of male puberty.

As our knowledge of matters of science and genetics and sex development grows, I think this question lends itself to fascinating discussions on these matters, and as noxious as some of the Lia Thomas thread was, there were some interesting thoughts. I just don't trust anyone anywhere to have those discussions in a civil manner for any number of reasons.

sgreenwell and Inky_Wretch like this.
  9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Sorry didn't know that. How are you supposed to know?

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Sorry. Not you. The ACC account has become parody.The ACC needs to stop.

franticscribe likes this.
  11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

She just didn’t have enough gas left in the tank to hold off Bol. Brown ran 49.14 on the anchor leg, .31 faster than her split in the world record first-round win. She couldn’t have done any more. Bowl, meanwhile, ran an insane 47.93 anchor.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Greg Oden comes to mind.

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted