1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Five-ring circus: The Thread of the XXXIII Olympiad

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Apr 12, 2024.

1. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

This golf tournament is getting tremendous. The final holes as Le Golf National is being a pain in the ass for everyone but Scheffler.

2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I'll unburden yet another of my personal anecdotes seemingly for every occasion, that during my very brief time as a high jumper in high school, my teammate was none other than Olympian Joetta Clark, who went on to be one of the great indoor middle distance runners. After signing my yearbook, she missed commencement to attend the 1980 Olympic trials, Joetta competed in four Olympics, 1988, 1992, 1996 and 2000 when she was 38 and team captain. (Her dad was bat-wielding high school principal Joe Clark, they lived two blocks down the hill from me in South Orange.)

3. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

BTW I that Riviera will host golf in 2028. Very cool. And I *think* Indian Wells is doing tennis. Again very cool.

But why is Olympic softball being held in Oklahoma City? Are there no worthy softball complexes in all of Southern California?

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Djokovic closing in on his long-coveted gold medal. Won the first set over Alcaraz in a tiebreak. They’re on serve at 4-4 in the second, but Alcaraz is struggling to hold his serve while Djoker is breezing. Looking like it’s only a matter of time before Carlito cracks.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Jon Rahm teed off on 10 with a four shot lead to win gold for Saudi Arabia; he’s now playing 15 off the podium. Yikes.

6. TigerVols

Indian Wells hosting tennis would result in heat stroke hospitalizations for all involved.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Alcaraz finally gets an easy hold to go up 6-5. Djoker to serve to stay in the set.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

And to a tiebreak.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

LOL

It's a high of 119 in Indian Wells today.

10. poindexter

The morning track announcers have spent the last couple of days explaining the repechage procedure for track events.

Then 110 hurdler Crittendon basically walks through his opening round, and announcers declare Crittendon "out" of the Olympics. Doh.

11. TigerVols

That will really give Coco something to complain about.

DanielSimpsonDay and HanSenSE like this.
  12. poindexter

They do this 119 degree weather to me! They do it to Serena!

HappyCurmudgeon likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted