1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Five-ring circus: The Thread of the XXXIII Olympiad

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Apr 12, 2024.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

At long last, Djokovic wins the one prize he’s been burning for all these years, joining Steffi Graf, Andre Agassi, Rafael Nadal and Serena Williams as winners of the career Golden Slam.

I’ve been saying all year that Djokovic is beginning to look old and is on the decline. Today his game was at its zenith. It was vintage Djoker — making Alcaraz hit the extra shot again and again, serving magnificently, blasting precision winners and showing a feathery touch when needed. It was exquisite. Alcaraz played great, too. Just a fantastic match.

2. nickp

nickp Active Member

Djokovic wins gold and gets the golden slam! That was a very entertaining match

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

This is the Cliff’s Notes version of my post. :)

4. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Scheffler shoots a 62 to win the golf medal.

da man likes this.
  5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It was discussed at length earlier in the thread. Incredible as it sounds given the talent level in the region and the population, the short answer is "no."

6. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

More venture capitalists need to go into cycling.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

What an amazing finish.

Hermes likes this.
  8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yeah, to recap that exchange, which I was in on:

1) While SoCal is home to several very good D1 programs, none have stadiums of sufficient capacity.

2) Real estate is at a huge premium in the region so obtaining land for a new facility would be hugely expensive. Supposedly this is the main reason USC does not field a team

3) There are several alternate venues (minor league baseball, etc etc) which might be converted, but again cost would be massive for essentially a 2-week schedule of games

4) OKC has a great complex all ready to go.

Batman, HanSenSE and franticscribe like this.
  9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

"Career" Golden Slam. I guess that's pretty good.

[​IMG]

HappyCurmudgeon likes this.
  10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Steffi Graf won the Golden Slam in one year.

11. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

5) The IOC has relaxed its rules about proximity to the host city precisely for situations like this in order to reduce costs/waste associated with hosting.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

What a name from the past. One of the great Lady Vols. Nine national titles. Inducted into the College Athlete Hall of Fame last year.

Yeah. That's why I posted it.

TigerVols likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted