1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Five-ring circus: The Thread of the XXXIII Olympiad

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Apr 12, 2024.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

U.S. 8, Australia 7.

Cowbells for everyone!

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

6) OKC is the Tahiti of the USA.

dixiehack, Batman, HanSenSE and 4 others like this.
  3. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

OKC is also hosting whitewater rafting or something?

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Well, he’s only the fifth to do it. Roger couldn’t.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Watching the women’s high jump final, which came down to a Ukrainian jumper and an Aussie.

They kept missing at 2.02 meters, which led my wife to make this observation: “They’re approaching the bar wrong.”

My wife, the high jumping expert.

P.S. The Ukrainian jumper won. Good for her.

Dog8Cats likes this.
  6. HappyCurmudgeon

The career Golden slam doesn't mean much of shit, since this is like the 9th or 10th Olympics the sport has been played. Do it in one year like Steffi and it's a big deal because that's a level of yearly dominance that's unprecedented. But the great players of the 70s and 80s, that took the sport to a star leevl, didn't even have the option. They had Davis Cup tournaments.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Geez, not saying it’s an equal accomplishment. But it is an accomplishment. Just a career grand slam is an achievement.

Lighten up, Francis.

8. HappyCurmudgeon

Also the men's final inexplicably went back to three sets after it was best-of-five for the first eight times.

9. HappyCurmudgeon

It's winning a gold medal, which is a fine accomplishment, it's not on the level of a grand slam tournament. The men aren't even playing best-of-five, which they did for the first several runs. It's the equivalent winning a really good ATP or WTA tournament.

10. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Men's 100 was nuts. They can't show me this finish slowly enough for me to understand how Lyles won.

11. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

NBC whiffed on the end of the men's 100. Clearly a photo finish, announcers way too quick to award it to Kishane Thompson and Noah Lyles ends up the winner.

12. HappyCurmudgeon

That race was...whew...

Wow.

sgreenwell likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted