1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Five-ring circus: The Thread of the XXXIII Olympiad

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Apr 12, 2024.

1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I don't know whether it's a producer/director decision or just a failure of their staff to provide any consistency on RESULTS. Good God, if you make me to spend all day looking at the Paris Olympic website to figure out who won what I just watched on NBC, then you're doing it wrong. I shouldn't have to guess at the medalists because you'd rather get another Snoop or SNL promo racked up. That's massive operations failure. Get the graphic up.

The other thing that's really obvious is how poorly prepared NBC is in case a Munich-like situation goes down. There's no actual "news" people covering events, and Tirico is no Jim McKay. Not to say ABC had all the details of the Massacre right during the events of that day -- especially because of conflicting reports -- but they had a number of announcers equally adept at knowing how to report on the fly. I don't have any feeling that the NBC anchors would have the foggiest idea what to do because they're glorified cheerleaders who need a script.

2. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

You accidentally added the rounded up times to the official time.
    It was 9.784 vs 9.789.

I was wondering why you said 0.005 when you showed a difference of 0.00005.

Batman likes this.
  3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

4. Typist Clerk

Typist Clerk Well-Known Member

NBC would just have Lester Holt take over. News has a bunch of staffers there.

maumann likes this.
  5. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

All platforms, 34.6 million viewers tuned into Paris Olympics on Saturday

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I was told people were boycotting.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

One of the ABC newsies in Munich, of course, was Peter Jennings, who was their lead reporter in the Middle East. Karma, I guess, much like having Al Michaels in the booth at Candlestick in 1989 when the earthquake hit.

Compare and contrast with when the power went out during the Ravens-49ers Super Bowl and they threw it to The NFL Today crew, which looked lost.

NBC had a Beijing bureau in 2008, so there was someone who knew the lay of the land.

maumann likes this.
  8. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Chuck Todd at the Olympics when a game is tied: 'We'll have to leave it there."

9. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

Watched the prime time replay of the 100 after watching it live this afternoon. Very interesting audio edits. Although they kept the original call for Jamaica, there wasn’t nearly the time between when Lyles knew he won and when the announcers said it. It was very odd during the live broadcast. Same for announcing Kerley’s bronze. In fact, that might have been recorded and edited in because I don’t remember that being said at all.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

They mentioned Kerley getting the bronze, but NBC has been terrible about putting the finish order and times on the screen. Same thing happened with the women’s 100 yesterday, and I noticed it was missing in some of the swimming races, too.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

No, they said in the live broadcast, but it was easy to miss.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Ringing the bell: A tribute to Quasimodo?

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted