1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Just saw a Kennedy lawn sign up the block, to my surprise. It's August and around town there are still far more leftover high school graduation signs than election signs of any kind.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

There is a lonely Nikki Haley sign clinging to a freeway overpass here like a hair on a biscuit.

Maybe the first step in getting our lives back is not plastering our property with this political shit like it is college football merchandise.

3. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

The Trump Flag/Confederate Flag/Upside-down American Flag triumvirate made it's debut on a house down the street. I live in Illinois.

4. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Twenty years ago here there was a gentlepersons' agreement barring lawn signs for Board of Ed elections, and a family member spent less than $200 total on her successful campaign. Today they're commonplace, and a candidate needs to have a fundraising person and come up with thousands of campaign dollars if they expect to win. It's not even because BOE is a backdoor into local politics, as we don't send anyone to the bigs.

6. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

One of the few plusses of living in an HOA community is that campaign signs, flags, etc. are barred until a month before the election and must be taken down the day after.

7. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

We can't even place realtor signs on our lawns in my neighborhood. They must be in the windows.

My neighbors are probably 60-65% Trumpists, but you'd never know it.

Driftwood likes this.
  9. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I'm in a 55+ community in a red area of California. Based on past elections, it's probably a similar percentage of Trumpists, if not higher.

And that's crazy about realtor signs.

Driftwood likes this.
  10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It kind of makes sense. Gated community, so it's not exactly like people are just driving by and seeing "For Sale" signs. You can't get in unless you already live there or somebody there gives you a code.

And in the year 2024, realtor signs are about as useful as the Yellow Pages. My house in Charlotte went on the market in 2021 the Friday before Memorial Day. By the end of the holiday it had 30 showings.

Driftwood likes this.
  11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

12. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

Glad they had someone to call them out for their bullshit.

While I was in high school around 1998 (no snickers from the gallery, please), I got the chance to be part of a group from my school that got to job shadow for the day at CNN Center (when CNN Center and the Atlanta HQ were still a thing). At some point during the day, they brought in Bill Hemmer to speak to us. He seemed like a great guy, but I guess a nice, fat paycheck will convince you to say and think anything.

(I spent the day with CNN/SI when that was supposed to be the big counter to ESPN News. I think Van Earl Wright met with my little sub-group, but that day was most notable for being the same day that Walter Payton announced his cancer diagnosis. We got to experience the breaking news, and they shuffled us kids off to the control room while they went live.)

Last edited: Aug 5, 2024
    OscarMadison and garrow like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted