1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Five-ring circus: The Thread of the XXXIII Olympiad

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Apr 12, 2024.

1. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

I thought Val Allman was going to hit 70M on that discus throw.

maumann and Webster like this.
  2. HappyCurmudgeon

Duplantis about to go ALL in on this world record.

maumann likes this.
  3. HappyCurmudgeon

This is the type of stuff that makes sports great. What an incredible moment.

maumann and qtlaw like this.
  4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Great drama. 80,000 people watching one guy try to do something not done before, and he does it.

maumann likes this.
  5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

That was so damn cool.

Webster likes this.
  6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

So cool, the very essence of the Olympics to me.

7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

The essence of the Olympics: My dad saw Jesse Owens run against a racehorse at Ruppert Stadium in Newark. Bill "Bojangles" Robinson said hold my Ruppert and beat the horse, running backwards.

8. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Apparently Jimmer tore an adductor and missed their last five games, so that didn't help

9. HappyCurmudgeon

Eh, he wasn't exactly a difference maker for the short time he did play. They were not athletic, didn't move well, had zero ISO ability or ways to create shots. He wasn't helping with much of that. The team created was one that expected to play with a wide open game with a lot of outside shooting opportunity. The reality is that it's a physical scrum where the refs don't call shit and you have to fight to get to the basket.

sgreenwell likes this.
  10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I still can't reconcile that an american basketball team consisted solely of shoe clerks and crumb bums.

TowelWaver and HappyCurmudgeon like this.
  11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

This was the ninth time he's broken the world record in the past 4 1/2 years. It's probably boring for him until he gets above 20 feet.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It's like they went to considerable effort to figure out how to put together a team pretty much guaranteed to lose.

Draft saved Draft deleted