1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Five-ring circus: The Thread of the XXXIII Olympiad

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Apr 12, 2024.

1. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Actually, the closest analogue to yesterday was probably 1952, in which all six finalists were covered by .12 seconds and the fourth place guy was .05 behind. They did have a photo finish camera.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athletics_at_the_1952_Summer_Olympics_–_Men's_100_metres

Pilot likes this.
  2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

He's on the Sergey Bubka/Yelena Isinbayeva plan. Athletes get a bonus from their sponsor every time they break a world record, so even if you could shatter the record by half a meter, why would you? Just do it a centimeter at a time and rake in the cash.

Bubka broke the pole vault world record 35 times -- 17 outdoor and 18 indoor. He raised the outdoor record from 5.94 meters to 6.15, one centimeter at a time. On the women's side, Isinbayeva broke pole vault the world record 17 times.

Edit: Forgot to add in Isinbayeva's indoor records. In total, she broke the WR 30 times in her career. BTW, her outdoor world record of 5.06, set in 2009, still stands.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2024
    Batman likes this.
  3. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Doesn't seem to have the same problem as that French guy.

4. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Watching highlights of the women's 5K for the first time. They're so fast they can literally have fisticuffs right out there on the track and finish first.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

My only issue with Duplantis is that he was born, raised and lives in Louisiana but competes for Sweden (his mother is Swedish).

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Neither one of the two who tangled finished first. Faith Kipyegon, who finished second, was DQed for the tussle, though there's a chance she'll be reinstated in appeal.

Personally, I think Tsegay was in the wrong. Kipyegon was running right along the rail and Tsegay pinched down while trying to go by on the outside of her, leaving Kipyegon no place to go, so she pushed back. I think Tsegay wanted to cut in front of Kipyegon as she went by her but cut over before she actually got past.

7. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Sorry, mostly for comedy purposes. TV said Kipyegon was already reinstated, so that must have been edited in for the late show.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Watching the replay of the pole vaulter, I can’t help but think how satisfying it must feel in that one-to-two seconds as you’re falling to the mat knowing that you just made history.

Webster, garrow, sgreenwell and 4 others like this.
  9. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

he had leverage because of his mom’s heritage and used it when USA track wouldn’t let his dad stay as his coach. Sweden said hell yes you can have whatever you want.

and I don’t blame USA track. You can’t make that exception otherwise you have chaos

10. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

So we’re all blaming the beam since like half the field fell off right?

HanSenSE likes this.
  11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Again.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  12. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Probably just happy his dick made it over.

Draft saved Draft deleted