1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Five-ring circus: The Thread of the XXXIII Olympiad

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Apr 12, 2024.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

He might be an American competing for Sweden, but that kiss with his girlfriend sure looked French.

sgreenwell and Batman like this.
  2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Greece relied heavily on the heritage rule in 2004 to field teams in sports they don't compete in normally. Its softball team was made up totally of American college players.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Looked up Mondo’s indoor records — he’s set it five times. So 14 total. Long way to go to catch Bubka.

4. Shelbyville Manhattan

Shelbyville Manhattan Well-Known Member

That was also this year's USA men's 3x3 team.

5. John

John Well-Known Member

Track/pursuit cycling may be my favorite thing at the Olympics that I forget exists once the Games are done. So fun to watch.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  6. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

They could never make me understand the thought process behind putting those guys together and expecting anything other than what they got.

7. Dog8Cats

Dog8Cats Well-Known Member

I have no problem with Duplantis representing Sweden.

I don’t understand the coaching conflict. Ryan Crouser’s coach is his dad, not Joe Kovacs’ wife.

I might be alone, but I think Duplantis is about the coolest man on the planet.

8. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

technically, Kovac's wife is the women's throws coach. Gary Aldrich coaches the men

My understanding of it is that his older brother was competing for Sweden because he wasn't good enough to make the USA team, and they saw how good Mondo was and made dad a national team coach to lock down Mondo's allegiance for competition.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

10. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

I assume you can have whoever you want as a private coach as they are on your payroll, your responsibility, whatever,

But my understanding is that Duplantis wanted his Dad to be the Team USA Pole Vault coach? Is that correct.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Speed climbing is another sport that benefits from super slow-mo replays.

12. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Ok, my apologies for underestimating photo finish technology of the 1940s and 1950s! I'm positive, though, that race would have been a trainwreck in the 1864 Olympics in Washington. "Ok, everyone please hold that pose..... HOLD THAT POSE!"

maumann and Baron Scicluna like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted