1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Because of how easily the word weird is thrown around.

Beyond that, I'm not sure there's anything particularly weird about Vance. Something weird was alleged - but that was made up, on X, and proliferated due to left-leaning people running with a made-up thing.

Finally, since when was the Democratic Party the snobs, the prigs, the look-down-their-nose folks? A person can be wrong and bad without being weird, and I'm not sure what advantage there is to it.

2. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

It'll play out on its own. Maybe it continues to resonate. Maybe it peters out.

It's been effective, so some sort of messages to stop it (how would that even work?) would be, well, weird.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  3. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I am convinced that at some time in the last 24 hours there was a discussion on whether or not they could get Sunday Ticket if they win because how else are they going to get all the Vikings games? And when he sketched out the "run for Vice President" rubric, "Can't go to the State Fair anymore" was probably firmly in the "NO" column.

dixiehack likes this.
  4. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Nothing else weird about Vance? OK, this is not a serious discussion.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I totally cop to being biased ... but Josh Shapiro is killing it on the rally podium.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

According to you, the entirety of the Internet era.

2muchcoffeeman and TowelWaver like this.
  7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Shapiro-Buttigieg 2032

jr/shotglass likes this.
  8. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

LOL. ... OK, weirdo.

9. jr/shotglass

Holy shit. People are going to remember that.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Do tell. Some of us aren’t off work yet.

11. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

There is plenty weird about Trump and Vance that have nothing to do with the couch story.

The cat mom comment was weird.

The diner story he tried to tell about his kids being hopped up on milk was weird.

Trump just tried to launch a conspiracy theory that Biden will come back at the convention and try to take the nomination back. That's weird.

Trump's fixation on nicknames for people he dislikes, many of which have been racist, is weird.

Trump's sexualized comments about his own daughter in the past are extra weird.

The portion of Trump's stump speech that fixates on Hannibal Lector is batshit weird.

That's just the tip of the iceberg.

All politicians have some oddities. Biden has always had bizarre childhood stories. But many politicians are able to balance things out with positive traits. For Biden, it was his authenticity and compassion. As much as I hated his policies, there was an authenticity to Dubya, too. There is an earnestness to Obama and Harris that is palpable. McCain was as genuine as it gets.

Trump and Vance don't have those redeeming qualities to balance out their weirdness. So, they're just plain weird.

12. jr/shotglass

He didn't "whatabout" once from what I saw. Didn't even deal with the other side. It was all about doing what is right for the country ... and for themselves. I know he had a captive audience, but he did whip them into a frenzy.

OscarMadison and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted