1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Five-ring circus: The Thread of the XXXIII Olympiad

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Apr 12, 2024.

1. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

That is what they are doing at the LA Coliseum. The track was removed when they remodeled for USC football a few years back so an elevated track will be constructed for the 2028 Games.

This is probably paywalled: LA28 plans an ambitious Coliseum makeover for track and field - Los Angeles Times (latimes.com)

[​IMG]

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I thought Mary Carillo was going to be doing that stuff I’ve only seen one story - about a bakery - since the Games began.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Why is that? That is contrary to every Olympics I can remember. It sucks. Track and field IS the Olympics.

gingerbread and da man like this.
  6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

When the ancient Greeks started the Olympics, it was running, jumping, throwing and wrestling. Three of those things are track and field.

7. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I enjoy SNL, but man, who gives a flying fuck about seeing them on Olympics coverage? Especially for a pretty normal interview with Heidi Gardner and Ego Nwodim. The only "celebrity" stuff that has kind of worked for me has been the guest spots with the Sesame Street characters.

8. MileHigh

Swimming is at SoFi and a good portion of the opening ceremony is at SoFi, with another chunk at the Coliseum.After the opening ceremony, they will have temporary seating for 38,000 at SoFi for swimming.

9. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

She did one about escargot that aired before the Games started. I do think Snoop has kind of stolen her thunder but they've been having her do tennis matches too, which she's been doing for years and was a top-40 player.

gingerbread likes this.
  10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure there is no current track in the LA Coliseum. (this big 10 olympics idea is so stupid)

11. MileHigh

There is not. They are putting in an elevated temporary track that will wipe out lower bowl seats currently in place.

12. Dog8Cats

Dog8Cats Well-Known Member

I love that Ingebrigtsen brings personality to the sport. He's definitely pretty damn pleased with himself, but he doesn't run from the challenges that attitude presents. I think he has more to be proud of finishing fourth - for the way he made the race and ensured it was honest - than a lot of winners of Olympic distance races do.

From 1912 to 2012, the United States won exactly zero gold medals in the men's 1,500 meters. In the last three Olympics, the U.S. has won two - both by alumni of the same college.

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted