1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Five-ring circus: The Thread of the XXXIII Olympiad

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Apr 12, 2024.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Just saw the 1,500 again -- damn, what a race. And Leigh didn't blow it but he should be off Olympics track after this dreadful meet.

2. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I'm not surprised by that, though given they've had that NASCAR quarter-mile in there, I figured there'd be room.

3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I watched it after reading who won. It was still worth the watch. It was so good.

To the broadcast’s credit, they called it in the first lap with Hocker’s kick and he needed to be better positioned. He did exactly that. But the rest of the moment was not good. Really do wish they backdown hope the guy who led the whole way just died. Did he get muscled out orb did his World Record pace kill him in the final 100?

4. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

The filler started early tonight. It's like they're so lost without gymnastics or swimming.

sgreenwell likes this.
  5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Put it in the end zones at Kinnick Stadium; those aren’t being used anyway.

maumann likes this.
  6. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

who needed a half hour of diving?

I thought they’d show the wrestling gold instead of the blowby same thing with some of those other teams sport wins — do extended highlights

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Speed climbing should have gotten more primetime coverage. It’s fast, so fast it’s mind-blowing.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

If you are going to have SNL there and you’re not going to reprise the men's artistic swimming routine ...

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Note to NBC:

Could you maybe not have the announcers tell us that every Black athlete is known for his or her "big smile"?

Thank you.

maumann, qtlaw and HanSenSE like this.
  10. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I'm watching the replay right now, because I get the first shift of night duty for the baby, and I'm shocked at how much diving they're showing - especially since it doesn't seem like the USA is going to sniff medals at all in it.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

They can’t say that about Fred Kerley. Although I actually did see him smile after earning the bronze in the 100.

12. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Indian wrestler Vinesh Phogat missed weight this morning and is DQ'd after having an incredible run yesterday and qualifying for the finals against American Sarah Hildebrandt today.

What an awful way to lose. She's known in India for being the whistleblower about sexual abuse of female athletes by one of India's highest ranking Olympic officials. After she publicly came forward, many other women did too. That backstory made her reaching the finals, as the first Indian woman to do so, seem that much more triumphant.

Hildebrandt doesn't automatically get the gold though. They will advance the last wrestler Vinesh beat to the finals.

Draft saved Draft deleted