1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Five-ring circus: The Thread of the XXXIII Olympiad

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Apr 12, 2024.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

A great time, too -- 43.40, fifth-fastest of all time.

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Hall looked like his form was completely broken down the stretch and then just passed everyone.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

4. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

American Kenneth Rooks just about pulled off a Dave (EDIT: Wottle) 2.0 in the men's steeplechase. Came out of seemingly nowhere on the bell lap, pulled out to a huge lead and held on for a silver, losing only to the defending gold medalist, with the heavily favored Kenyans stunned.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2024
    UPChip, Liut and I Should Coco like this.
  5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Went to school in the Walla Walla, Wash., area. Great race for him — and a tough fall late in the race by one of the favorites. Ouch!

Liut likes this.
  6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Wottle. He was a big name for a few days.

maumann likes this.
  7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

That was a really bad one. The other runners were having to step over and around him, because he wasn't getting up.

8. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Sarah Hildebrandt gets gold at 50 kg in women's wrestling and the American ladies are 2 for 2 in gold medal matches so far.

Dom Parrish has a decent chance to get a bronze tomorrow and get the women to 3 for 3 in medals.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Wottle's deal was a lot different because the 800 is a much shorter race. You'll see a lot of good distance runners trail the pack through much of the race before making a move -- Sifan Hassan comes to mind right away. And my memory is terrible, but I think Rooks did the same thing in his heat the other day.

maumann likes this.
  10. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Thanks. I knew it looked wrong. Fixed.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

It kind of bothered me that the broadcast glossed over that. Once the race was over, it was barely mentioned, and we never got a sense of how he was doing.

And even if you just want to talk about the race, that was a major factor. For one, that wasn't just anyone who fell -- it was the world record holder. So that's a giant impact. Then it slowed everyone even with and behind him in the final stretch, when the leaders are at their top speed so you're losing more ground than earlier.

I Should Coco, Liut and maumann like this.
  12. John

John Well-Known Member

The Olympic athletes I know, mostly in track and swimming, love the communal aspect of the village. They may not be worrying about it on the day of or the day before they compete, but the rest of the time they're there they want to experience as much as they can.

Huggy, Dog8Cats and franticscribe like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted