1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Five-ring circus: The Thread of the XXXIII Olympiad

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Apr 12, 2024.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

In fact, Rooks' strategy seemed to be to stay with the guys who knew would be at the front in the end: El Bakkali and Girma. If you noticed, he made his initial move when they did.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Saw my first kayak cross highlights yesterday. Who’s down for a 2028 meetup in OKC?

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  3. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Being a weightlifter, she probably just clean and jerked it back into place.

WriteThinking and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Speaking of weightlifting, the 20-year-old American who took bronze in the men's event today looks like he's about 13. And a nerdy 13-year-old, at that.

maumann likes this.
  5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Same here. We had the race on in the newsroom — as mentioned, there’s a quasi local connection with Rooks — and I was at least hoping someone would address if the fallen runner was OK.

da man likes this.
  6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Freddy Atlas! Dynamic tension!!

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  7. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

They went to six in each men's division (down from eight each) when they bumped women from four to six in 2016. In the process they managed to go from 20 total medals to 18.

What they really need to do for wrestling is kill Greco-Roman and give three weight classes each to men's and women's freestyle. But the Eastern Europeans and traditionalists won't stand for it because 1) It's a lot of medals for former Soviet republics and 2) Greco-Roman was what they wrestled at the 1896 Olympics and is one of the few events from that era still in the games. Freestyle as we know it today, didn't start at the games until the 40s.

I love Greco-Roman. It was the style I excelled at the most way back when. But it doesn't produce exciting matches most of the time and is hard for the casual viewer to understand. The sport is growing exponentially right now thanks to women's wrestling finally taking off and yet Greco-Roman remains a big drag.

I've heard people suggest adding a mixed team dual like Judo has and I think that could be incredibly fun, but don't see any realistic way of it happening.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2024
  8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And, hey, free condoms!

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

U.S. women snooze to an 88-74 win over Nigeria that should have been about 40.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Remember, the competitive experience for the vast majority of Olympic athletes in all disciplines is getting beat like a rented mule. All those track and field heats, all those gymnasts you never see on TV, all those swimming heats, it's basically like 90 percent of all the athletes have no shot at winning anything, and most of 'em know it. They're there the way amateur qualifiers at the two Opens are there, for the thrill of competing against the world's best. After that, well, it's party time.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted