1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2024 NHL offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Liut, Jun 25, 2024.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

“The announcers for this game are selected by X and approved by Y.”

That’s been a part of sports broadcasts going back at least the four decades I’ve been watching. And even though this wasn’t a game, it isn’t hard to see that his employer would move heaven and earth to stay in the good graces of the NHL. If they give a thumbs down from the throne, it’s off to the gallows.

Liut likes this.
  2. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Watching a replay of the decisive Game 5 1986 Stanley Cup Final. Nick Fotiu is on the ice for Calgary. Nicky Freakin' Fotiu!

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The pride of Staten Island.

All video of him in anything other than a Rangers jersey should be destroyed.

Liut likes this.
  4. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

Habs got goals from Gingras and Green as I recall.

Liut likes this.
  5. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Gaston Gingras is one of my favorite names in hockey. Concluded his NHL career in St. Louis, IIRC.

Tighthead likes this.
  6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

It will never be as fun to say as Rejean Houle.

Liut likes this.
  7. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

As a GM ... Rejean Houle was a good player who shadowed Bobby Hull well in 1971.

8. misterbc

misterbc Well-Known Member

Nick was famously quoted as saying.”I don’t start fights, I finish them.” He was a fan fave in Calgary, believe me!

Liut likes this.
  9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

True story, according to him at least. When he was like 14, 15, 16 he would take public transportation from Staten Island (the subway doesn't go there, so he'd have to take a bus over the bridge to get to the subway) to play hockey wherever he could get ice time. He'd go to Coney Island, New Hyde Park on Long Island, etc. Often, he had to do this at like 2, 3 in the morning in order to get ice time at 5 or 6 am. He says he'd carry an axe in his bag with his gear, in case he had any trouble on the subway. The guy was driven (how you get to the NHL growing up where he did, when he did) and tough as nails.

misterbc and Liut like this.
  10. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I've read the same. Admired him from afar. BTW, started his pro career with the New England Whalers of the WHA.

11. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Wow

Retro Sports Renegades

Retro seventies Montreal Canadiens NHL hockey legends reunited.
    Six Stanley Cup championships during the decade of the 70s and four straight cups from 1976-79

[​IMG]

Picture taken yesterday. The last 14 survivors from the 4 straight Stanley Cups in the late 70's. Lafleur and Larocque are no longer with us. Rick Chartraw came all the way from Australia for that event organized by Savard. In front, Scott Bowman now in his 90's. Wow!
    Starting at the bottom then left to right
    Bowman, Chartraw, Jarvis, Tremblay, Lambert, Risebrough, Gainey, Shutt, Cournoyer, Lemaire, Robinson, Savard, Lapointe and Dryden
    You are looking at 81 Stanley Cups (as players) and 9 as head coaches or GM with the Habs.

misterbc, Liut, Michael_ Gee and 4 others like this.
  12. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

When we went to games, my brother asked me why they are so good.
    I told him, when the puck goes into the corner, don't look in the corner, look in front of the net, because the puck will be there in a second or two.

misterbc likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted