1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ukraine Always Get What You Want

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Feb 12, 2022.

1. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Ukraine launches attacks on Russian territory and quickly makes gains. Russian bloggers criticize Moscow for lack of planning, defense and logistics.

franticscribe likes this.
  2. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Ha, ha. Fuck you, Vlad.

Putin accuses Ukraine of 'provocation' amid alleged border incursion

President Vladimir Putin has accused Ukraine of launching "another major provocation", after defence officials said around 300 Ukrainian troops crossed into Russia's Kursk region on Tuesday.

Speaking ahead of a meeting of the Security Council in Moscow, Mr Putin accused Ukrainian forces of "firing indiscriminately" at civilian buildings and residences.

WriteThinking likes this.
  3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what the military purpose of invading Kursk is ... unless they want to hop on the highway to Moscow. Ask Napoleon how that went.

Probably just a PR stunt to embarrass Putin.

4. Brooklyn Bridge

Probably to draw forces currently in Ukraine, or to stoke division in Russia. But I’m just an armchair quarterback

Neutral Corner likes this.
  5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

We'll know it's PR if they start asking directions to Stalingrad Volgograd.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I'd think the purpose is to have the strongest negotiating position possible for after the U.S. election happens. Trump has said he will end the war, and while Trump says all kinds of things that are potentially meaningless, they are completely dependent on U.S. military weapons, which have become more difficult to get their hands on and will likely become impossible for them to get after the election, regardless of who wins.

If at that point, it is a negotiation to end the war, Ukraine has much more to negotiate with if they actually have some troops parked in Russia. "Sure, you can have your land back, in return for you leaving this part of Crimea. ..." Otherwise, they will be more pressured to cede land to Russia. While they have the arms to still do something like this, this actually seems like a pretty good use of those arms.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  7. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Russia has made it clear: Their precondition for negotiations is complete abdication of Ukrainian sovereignty.

8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I'd be surprised if the weapons get cut off after Harris wins. They can withhold particular munitions, or delay them, as a pressure tactic, sure. Biden already has. I can't see Israel's weapons being cut slap off.

9. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

The war in Ukraine would end under Trump because he would bend over and take it up the ass for Putin them commit US troops on the ground attacking Ukraine.

10. Brooklyn Bridge

RU doesn't consider Ukraine sovereign. They said it's an historical part of Russia.

11. Brooklyn Bridge

Thread on the early days of the Ukraine incursion into Russia and why they're doing it.

12. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

I hope I'm wrong, but I have a hard time seeing where this is anything more than a cross-border raid. ... and I question if Ukraine clearly has the resources - both men and machines - to throw them away on such a thing. But maybe I'm wrong.

Draft saved Draft deleted