1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How does your family handle death?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Driftwood, Jul 6, 2024.

1. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Condolences, @qtlaw and @outofplace.

qtlaw and outofplace like this.
  2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Sorry for your loss as well.

qtlaw likes this.
  3. outofplace

Thank you. The service is in four hours. I was supposed to be going up with my daughter for us to speak together, but now the grandkids are all going up together. I'm still speaking because my wife and daughter want me to do it. I'm supposed to be the one who won't cry. We'll see how that goes.

4. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I'm very sorry, @outofplace and @qtlaw. My mother, due to combination of COVID and old age, forgot to take her heart medications over the last week. She slipped off the toilet in the dark Sunday morning and my father isn't strong enough to pick up a piece of Kleenex, so they eventually called my brother, Scott. Because she was complaining about a little pain in her hip, they went to ER where the PA was completely unhelpful when Scott tried to explain how mom looked dehydrated and confused. Instead, they did an X-ray and released her.

Two days later (and after a weird call from Mom talking about sleeplessness and hallucinations because she hates Paxlovid), I get a call from Scott, who's now in Boston on a business trip. Mom's been transported via ambulance back to the hospital and admitted with Afib and heart palpitations, less than 36 hours after the PA refused to even check a blood or urine sample. I call Dad, who relays the note about Mom not taking her regular pills. Oh, she's weak and not eating. But he's certain the doctor will release her now that her heart is in rhythm.

And Dad had oral surgery to remove nine teeth on Monday, but drove himself home from the dentist because Mom was sick.

I had an operation to remove a portion of my thyroid last Friday, so I'm not going anywhere. My sister, the MD, is on a cruise from New Orleans to Mexico. And brother Duane, on the other side of the mountains from me, could get down there in about 9 hours if needed. But we're holding off until we hear what's next.

Dad is certain the physician will release her today but if she don't eat, she don't go home.

They're both 89 and on that fine line between living independently and having to call 9-1-Scott everytime something goes wrong.

I think I'm about to walk the path all of you have trod already. From what I was just told, I have the power of attorney, so at some point, I may have to pull rank and send them to a living facility if they lack the mental capacity to do so on their own.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2024
    dixiehack, tea and ease and Driftwood like this.
  5. outofplace

Sorry you are dealing with all that. Those decisions can be heartbreaking. I remember briefly talking with my mother about stopping working or us moving her out of her apartment when she was struggling. She rarely showed much emotion, but I still remember the pain in her voice during those conversations. It was worse because we both lived far away. She died before we could do any of it.

We were going through it with my mother-in-law, who also lived alone in an apartment, but at least all of her children were within 10 or 15 minutes. Before the cancer started progressing again, we had gotten her to agree to move in with my sister-in-law. They were going to renovate their house so she would have a bedroom on the first floor. As soon as the doctor told her what was going on, she shut that all down. She accepted that the end was near long before any of us would. That was two months ago.

I'm sure you realize it helps if you and your siblings can all get on the same page and start making some decisions. Maybe bring it up as an offer or suggestion sooner rather than later to try to make it easier to get your parents to go along with any move or change. Hopefully, you have a lot more time left with them than you think. Good luck.

maumann likes this.
  6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Hey bud bummer about your parents, mom especially. Before my dad passed two years ago, I was the primary contact for all doctors and it’s tough managing with my own family and a FT job. The bright side is I saw a lot of my mom and dad so I always reminded myself of that. Best to your parents.

Tighthead and maumann like this.
  7. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Yeah, we've got a separate Chat thread for the sibs where we're all trying to update each other and are in agreement. It's more trying to convince the two old people that they really have zero wriggle room if things go south in a hurry.

outofplace and Driftwood like this.
  8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

All I can say is I’m sorry and best wishes to you all.

dixiehack, qtlaw and maumann like this.
  9. tea and ease

tea and ease Well-Known Member

I want to add for all: Do not discount a UTI for any aberration that involves Maumann's experience in coherence. In my experience we often had to ask for that panel test... positive, meds given, symptoms reduced. The same experience for others I know. In the elderly, a UTI doesn't present as it does in the young. This is proven not just anecdotal. Don't be afraid to ask.

Wenders and maumann like this.
  10. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

When my late father was first hospitalized, he had a UTI, and he was OUT OF HIS FREAKIN MIND. It took a few days to figure it out. The questions he was asking and the things coming out of his mouth were CRAY-ZEE. It wasn't bad stuff. It was batshit stuff. Now, a couple of years down the line, it's sort of funny. At the time, I was deer in the headlights myself trying to understand what was going on. Once we understood it, and until the antibiotics kicked in, I finally caught on that it was just best that whatever he said or asked, just go with it. That helped him and kept him calm.
    We're talking stuff like him looking out the hospital window, seeing a road, thinking he was at home, and asking me "You mean I've lived here my whole life and never knew there was a road there?" or carrying on a whole day's conversation with me and introducing me to the hospital staff as his brother/my uncle.

maumann likes this.
  11. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

To lighten the mood:
    One of the days my dad was out of his mind, I was on my way to the hospital to sit with him. My phone rings. It's him. I had told my mom to take his cell phone away from him.
    "Where are yoouuuuu?"
    "I'm on my way. I'll be there in a minute."
    "Hurry. There's a gang of people working me over. Hurry. Hurry."
    Talking to myself... great, he thinks the Hells Angels are beating him up.
    I get into the room. He has no recollection of talking to me less than 10 minutes ago.
    Come to find out, the gang "working him over" was the nurses taking his vitals.

12. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Ramble away. This stuff is important.

I hope it helps, and I think it probably will.

Thanks for sharing.

Draft saved Draft deleted