1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Five-ring circus: The Thread of the XXXIII Olympiad

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Apr 12, 2024.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

As I was saying ...

MileHigh and Baron Scicluna like this.
  2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Joker getting his 4th stupidly running through that screen was the turning point. Embiid could do anything he wanted after that

3. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

How come there aren’t more Serbs in the NBA? They obviously can play.

4. Webster

USA was horrific down the stretch on the switches back to Joker. Booker and KD should never be on him. Embiid needed to be way more mobile on that.

sgreenwell likes this.
  5. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I guess the French health care system really is good if they can perform a craniorectal evacuation for Team USA on such short notice.

franticscribe and maumann like this.
  6. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Given Jokic's attitude about the trappings of NBA life and some of Darko's backstory, I kind of wonder if maybe many of them enjoy making good money close to home more than making great money half a world away. Not to mention the fact that the current generation of Serbians would definitely have some good reasons to not care for the United States.

7. Webster

24 seconds to go and you wait 16 seconds to foul Curry? There are no good options on the floor for the US to foul — I think that every is 85%+ except for LBJ so you need to go quick.

HanSenSE likes this.
  8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Gotta extend the game and hope one of them misses. Make them make six, eight free throws, not Curry for two.

9. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I don't watch much basketball anymore, but that was one helluva game. Six-point possession was the killer.

maumann and Liut like this.
  10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I'm almost not kidding about this.

I went back and looked at Sydney's results. Beginning in 2021, she has run the 400 hurdles in 10 meets, counting this one. She's set a world record in six of them. Three of those meets were season-opening tuneups. The other was a meet in Hungary in August 2022 two weeks after she set the record at the world championships in Eugene.

Thing is, she hasn't run this event very much. In fact, she didn't run it at all last year, focusing on the flat 400 (in which she missed the American record by .04). This year she's run a couple 200s, a 400 and a 100 hurdles, and only three meets in her primary event -- the tuneup in Atlanta, the Olympic Trials and the Olympics.

qtlaw and Webster like this.
  11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Yeah, that was awful. Couldn't believe they waited so long.

12. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Agreed. The millionaires forgot about the $$$, remembered the letters on their jersey and provided a classic victory. Congrats to the Serbs, as well.
    As you said, helluva game!

maumann and jr/shotglass like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted