1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

My favorite Constitutional flaw factoid is that if a Senate-certified president-elect dies or is otherwise rendered incapable of serving between certification and Inauguration Day, nobody knows what the hell happens.

2. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Of course not!

To quote Toby Ziegler on The West Wing: "No, it wouldn't, because this is an area of federal law where you want as much ambiguity as possible."

matt_garth and Baron Scicluna like this.
  3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It happens with everyone now. Yes, Fox News. Yes, everyone else, too. On democracy and climate change and moral implications of 12 different conflicts around the globe. How dare you was not uttered by a person on the right.

Recognizing that everyone does it is kind of important. Trump's going to lose soon, in three months, and that'll be that for him, and Democrats have to decide whether the world's gonna be at stake every day, or they can stand down, just a little, and not make everything into the championship match of a debate round.

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

My point is very simple.

The people on the panel at Fox News are oppressive people. Not actors. Certainly not patriots.

Oppressive people. People that live in anger. With their chins out.

5. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I take issue with including democracy, since trump tried to illegally hold/take power and has indicated he'll do it again.

Otherwise, I'm absolutely all for news organizations, particularly cable news, chilling the fuck out. I also realize it's never going to happen because news is unfortunately married to profits. Corporate profit driven news is a major flaw in the system.

maumann likes this.
  6. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Everybody chill out about the attempted coup d’etat.

Sure, the coral reefs are dying, but you’re being very undude.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The MO governor appointed her to the seat, if I recall correctly. And hence how we ended up with John Ashcroft as AG, arguably the worst until Bill Barr.

garrow and FileNotFound like this.
  8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

#thecouphasalreadyhappened
    (h/t @TigerVols)

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

All the things we were told we were crazy to freak out about in the first Trump administration came to pass. But surely this time the Calm Down Chorus has it right!

10. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Mama Weer All Crazee Now.

2muchcoffeeman and maumann like this.
  11. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

We already all know the Senate sits on a knife's edge, but I've seen some polling numbers come out that are fairly good for the blue side.

I think there's a good chance at a 50-50 Senate, with a VP Walz breaking the tie. A race to watch is in Texas where Colin Allred is running strong against Calgary Rafael (Q-Cancun). RCP rates that one as a "lean GOP."

12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

By October, won't voting by mail have started in several states?
    I have been trying to find the answer to this question: At what point is it too late to replace a candidate? I would think the answer would have to do with the point at which absentee/mailed ballots are sent out. And I'm sure that differs from state to state because this is not a country; it's a collection of more than 50 individual jurisdictions, all of which accord rights differently.
    But I don't really know.

Driftwood likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted