1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Five-ring circus: The Thread of the XXXIII Olympiad

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Apr 12, 2024.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I think the steps issue and the clipped hurdle were related.

2. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I don't think this went over how he thought it would.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Hoping like hell Nikki Hiltz podiums on Saturday, just for the meltdown.

4. Dog8Cats

Dog8Cats Well-Known Member

When I think of Moses, I think of his winning streak. And SM-L won't approach that long of a streak, because she doesn't race the 400H that often. Possibly a difference in the economics of the sport; Moses possibly raced more often to earn more.

maumann likes this.
  5. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I don't know how as a director you allow that to run. If it was before a live race then you have no choice and that's the risk of sports. They knew when they were putting the primetime program together that's how the race would go and they still left it in. I get you were trying to be all funny and then they go win it or at least medal. Once that's off the table, thrown in highlights of something else or just extend the break with a couple more ads

maumann likes this.
  6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Perhaps the US should just take the "next four" from the 100 trials - tell them they have ONE JOB. Train 'em up. Practice, practice, practice. Its embarrassing.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  7. Dog8Cats

Dog8Cats Well-Known Member

Back to Syd ...

As ESPN showed on the BottomLine, she has broken the world record in each of her last six global or national finals. HER LAST SIX.

Two aims in track: Fastest times or biggest championships. She not only has the fastest times, she's posted them in the most pressurized environments - in the biggest championships. She's like Wilt Chamberlain (best individual stats) and Bill Russell (winningest player) combined.

maumann likes this.
  8. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Next cognitive test: Woman, man, boxer, gold medal, bigly.

Huggy likes this.
  9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

White and Holiday have played major minutes in every game. Tatum was benched twice against Serbia. Strong suggestion of matchup decision, not some bias against the Celtics. Although I admit to bias. I wish Portnoy wasn't from around here.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2024
  10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

It’s almost like Portnoy says a bunch of stupid shit in order to get clicks.

11. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Kennedy Blades nearly killed her opponent, Catalina Axiente of Romania, in her first match at 76kg this morning. She hit an incredible suplex and it either surpised Axiente or - more likely - Axiente had never been thrown like that and failed to adjust on the way down.

I'm not gonna post the clip, but you can find it pretty easily.

Blades is a rising star in the sport. Only 20 and insanely talented. She did nothing wrong in the way she controlled the move.

One of the few things I don't like about Olympic wrestling is that you have athletes from countries other than Russia, Japan, Cuba, Iran and/or the United States who just don't have adequate training or experience and sometimes you end up with scary situations like this. The talent/experience gap is particularly pronounced in women's wrestling, which is still a pretty new sport.

The 8th place runner in Heat 1 of the 100m dash isn't at risk of going home with a broken neck. I don't know how you fix it though.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2024
    poindexter likes this.
  12. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

On this side of the border, l’ll be watching that 4x100 for years to come. Still get chills watching Don Whitman’s call of the relay in Atlanta, as well as Donovan Bailey’s WR in the 100.

HanSenSE, Huggy and maumann like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted