1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2024 college football offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Jan 10, 2024.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Wouldn’t be shocking.
    I know nothing, but here’s how I thought it would go down: 4-8 the first year (but with gradual improvements over the year, not a fast start and utter collapse); 6-6 in year 2, with more upward trending; 24 hours after that last game, he is introduced as the new coach at some school in hotter-than-hell Texas or Florida.
    It now looks like he’s so toxic that nobody will touch him. Any ADs who had cases of FOMO are now breathing normally.

2. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

ELI 5, but why does Deion have such animosity toward the local CBS outlet? It’s not the affiliate’s fault someone at the network said something negative.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Tim McCarver.

HanSenSE likes this.
  4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

5. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I wonder if the opposite occurred. The Denver CBS affiliate is network owned and operated. Perhaps the station dropped the show and Deion was told it was a decision made by CBS corporate. I would find it very weird that Deion would freeze out the station if it was carrying the show this season.

TigerVols and MileHigh like this.
  6. LanceyHoward

I am not really a Deion fan but I think you underestimate him and the program, The program improved from 1-11 to 4-8 last year based almost entirely on the talents of Shedeur. While Colorado brought over 50 transfers last year they were not that talented. Only one had started full-time the year before at a Power Five program.

This year the 40 or do transfers they brought in have far more impressive resumes. Many have started at Power Five schools, including two who made all-conferences teams. The Buffs will start 11 new transfers who collectively will be much better than the players they replaced. The team should be much better and I think the 2024 version of the Big 12 will not be as strong as the 2023 Pac 12.

2025 will be different. Shedeur and Travis Hunter will be gone along with a lot of seniors. Whoever is coaching that team will be looking at a dismal situation.

FWIW, there is one scholarship player left from the 2022 squad. One walk-on has subsequently been given a scholarship.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I know enough about Deion Sanders to know that it's not possible to underestimate his leadership skills.

matt_garth and PCLoadLetter like this.
  8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I have a hard time seeing Lincoln Riley at USC next year. If they do okay, make the final 8 or better, he's off to the NFL. If they don't make the playoff, he's also gone. I don't think USC will have to fire him - he'll be looking for another spot where he can be successful, quickly.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Have you seen his house? I don’t think he’ll be looking to leave unless he has to.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

He's 40 though, you think he'll hang out and keep pounding his head against the wall until USC buys him out in two or three years and people have forgotten he used to be a well-regarded coach?

Neutral Corner likes this.
  11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Given that UCLA is going to be a dumpster fire and his other main rival up north in green will have the same recruiting hurdle as he does (travel), I think it will be a moot point - he’s going to win enough to satisfy most.

12. LanceyHoward

Given the size of the buyout at USC I could see it.

Draft saved Draft deleted