1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Five-ring circus: The Thread of the XXXIII Olympiad

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Apr 12, 2024.

1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Not gonna lie, I so much more enjoy the winter olympics. Outside of the track sprints and relays, I sort of give it cursory glance. Most of the summer olympic sports aren't sports, and if they are, the have no place in the olympics.
    I don't begrudge any of it. I just personally don't care.
    My wife has to give me the daily minutiae.
    I'm like, "Uhhh, yeah. OK. Whatever. Who beat?"

Liut and maumann like this.
  2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

It was a brutal game - The US didn't really deserve to win, and got bailed out by the refs. Ionescu crapped all over herself twice in the fourth quarter and had to get pulled after a pretty bad turnover. She finished with 10 minutes, one missed shot, 0 points, two boards and three assists. Young went 1-for-7 in 28 minutes. The starting backcourt (Young and Gray) combined for 2 points and 6 turnovers.

Team USA shot 2-for-12 from range, and really seemed like they could have used a guard or wing to space the floor better. Taurasi was a DNP and Griner logged five minutes. The USA still won, because France went 7-for-36 from range themselves, and because they shot 34 free throws. But this feels similar to the 2000 men's Dream Team, which the USA won but had a 2-point scare against Lithuania in the semifinals. That team was also pretty mismatched in terms of basketball fit and had a couple of older legends that were on the clear back nine.

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Griner looked so slow in this tournament.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That should be another Peacock feed: "GoofZone" for breakdancing, "artistic" anything, 3-on-3 basketball and pickleball.

Pickleball is coming, folks.

Driftwood and Liut like this.
  5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I’d like to think that, just like a president of the U.S. on the night that their term or terms finish, that the night after the Olympics end has to be one of the most satisfying nights of sleep for the organizers for each Olympic city.

Batman, Driftwood and maumann like this.
  6. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Just listening to the words of our National Anthem, thinking back on the War of 1812, and how fitting the handoff is from France to the United States. A history lesson in two minutes.

Sometimes we take it all for granted. And then are reminded how fragile our freedoms are. And how many times we've been on the precipice before.

We're a tough little country for only being around 250 years.

God bless us. I hopefully will be here in 2028. Hopefully so will our country.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2024
  7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

So breakdancing is out in LA - in is flag football, cricket, squash and Lacrosse. Pass me the Grey Poupon and anyone who doubts the NFL's power. Really would have thought a Spartan type race would have been better. You know, something you actually know people participating in who aren't names Miles or Chad.

8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Anything that requires music is not a sport. Sorry.

I love the Olympics, but I pay no attention to events I think are 1) not sports, 2) pseudo-sports (like 3-on-3 and flag football), 3) too judge-oriented and 4) stupid or ridiculous.

The Winter Olympics are the Olympics for insane people, with many events that involve high speeds and the risk of crashes that can result in severe injury.

11. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

12. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Like ice dancing.

Draft saved Draft deleted