1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2024 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Baron Scicluna, Jan 1, 2024.

1. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

And do they really need Christopher Daniels as a discount Adam Pearce? Schiavone told Mercedes that Daniels told him that Tony Khan told him that he overruled Britt's suspension -- that just sounded ridiculous.

Forget the fact that the Elite/evil authority stuff makes no sense when any decision the Elite makes can be and should be overruled by the owner of the company. At least when WWE ran the Authority stuff into the ground, it made sense because it was the McMahons, where the buck stopped.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2024
    JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I watched the Damien Priest documentary. Pretty good, as usual. Nothing earth shattering. I enjoyed the part where they showed everyone from Judgment Day jumping up and down in Gorilla when Priest cashed in his briefcase at WM. And Rhea said their reaction was legit.

nietsroob17 likes this.
  3. nietsroob17

It was good, but maybe they could've at least timed the doc's release a little better? Like before SummerSlam? :D

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  4. nietsroob17

He looked horrible in the Death of WCW doc, so it was probably coming, but RIP Kevin Sullivan.

Despite what would come out of it in real life, his brawls (including the infamous falls count anywhere) with Benoit were some of my earliest memories in my WCW fandom.

GUig6ndWEAAXqcy.jpeg

5. Baron Scicluna

Sullivan spent the 70s as a prelim guy in the WWWF. There’s a squash match on YouTube where he faces Bruiser Brody at MSG with Vince on commentary and you can’t help but think what a weird alternate universe that is andhow much a difference a few years make.

He became huge in Florida by becoming a satanic character, which was quite innovative for its time. He had a heckuva run leading the Varsity Club in the NWA, and did his Dungeon of Doom thing in WCW, where he infamously booked both his eventual divorce and Brian Pullman’s firing.

One of my favorite stories about him was when he was in a tag team with Mick Foley, who was about to leave WCW. Sullivan first booked their tag team breakup, with Foley to turn heel. Foley was concerned because he wanted to leave as a babyface so that he could make T-shirt money on the independents. Foley expressed this concern to a fellow wrestler (don’t recall who), and was told not to worry because Sullivan was the least sympathetic babyface in the business. Foley executed the heel turn, and to his surprise, was cheered by the fans.

I’ll leave this fun clip of Sullivan and Oliver Humperdink, breaking character. RIP Taskmaster.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

7. Baron Scicluna

8. nietsroob17

This is a helluva motley crew on the WWE Vault channel.

9. nietsroob17

Still foreign as all hell to see Roman as a white-hot babyface, but damn if that's where he is right now.

10. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

When will he utter his first words besides UUUU-Aaah? November at his pace?

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  11. nietsroob17

Damn. Montez was built more like Dawkins than he was Montez when he first started with WWE. Talk about a slim-down.

12. Baron Scicluna

That’s nice Zoey, but can you throw a touchdown pass to yourself?

Draft saved Draft deleted